Snow removal went great, snow and ground was freakishly warm even at 25°.
Most the ice underneath was 'rotten', so tire chains broke it up.
Thar's a bit of good luck.

Owners of a lot that was posted at a set "firm" price that we made an offer (cash too) on at their "firm" price are now playing coy and aren't sure if they still want that "firm" price. Then why did they post it at that? It was on the market for 2 years and now since we showed interest they think they have a hot item?

do you mean that the "firm" price went up ?
that is a game you can play, too.
tell them you are no longer interested.
they will buckle if you are convincing enough.
if they decide to accept your offer, don't jump at it.. let them squirm a bit first..
a cash offer doesn't mean much to them.
no matter how you get the money to pay them, they get cash.

We have a good Realtor and are letting her talk to them. I'd love to play hardball that way but I'm pretty green at buying real property. But we've decided that if they're going to mess with us on their price they can sit on that property another couple of years and wait for someone else who is willing to pay for a lot right next to the railroad tracks. We'll settle for a smaller quieter piece of land (owned by someone else) and save our money.

That might be better anyway.
At least it's dry(?) but what kind of traffic do those tracks get...
....lots of freight or high speed passenger line, or both?
Yeah it's dry, the train comes by twice a day with lumber. Both I and my partner like trains and we'll be planting hedgerows along the fence line to help with the noise.

But we found out we have the property and for the original price as well. We close on the 28th of this month and we are so excited! 1/3 of an acre is plenty for our plans and 40 more weeks to retirement!

Congrats on getting the property, that is exciting!
Yesterday i fixed the quail cage where i ripped off the old feeder. I installed a new feeder and repaired the rest of the hole. Also put a small window in the plywood windbreak i screwed on the side for winter. Used an 8x10 picture frame i got cheaply at Goodwill. The quail like to be able to see outside.

the snow has not started to melt yet.
icicles are hanging from the house roof .
I made pancakes from scratch for breakfast.
fried up some big baloney slices .
did you know that if you cut the baloney rounds in half, they do not bubble up when you fry them ?
Our temps are ranging from 0F up to 18F for the next few days..
for that hedge along the RR tracks.
I would build a 2 foot high fence and then plant the hedge along it. when the hedge grows up, the fence will be invisible and it will prevent the chickens from sneaking through the hedge to get out.
also, If you can find someone who is trimming their hedge. see if they will let you collect the trimmings. then you can take the green cuttings and root them. it might take a little longer to get your hedge started, but it will cost nothing..
.......jiminwisc......

for that hedge along the RR tracks.
I would build a 2 foot high fence and then plant the hedge along it. when the hedge grows up, the fence will be invisible and it will prevent the chickens from sneaking through the hedge to get out.
also, If you can find someone who is trimming their hedge. see if they will let you collect the trimmings. then you can take the green cuttings and root them. it might take a little longer to get your hedge started, but it will cost nothing..
.......jiminwisc......

There is already 4' rolled stock fencing along the train side and the plan is to hedgerow natives (vine maples, native roses, oceanspray, and the like) and fill in as needed with ferns and native flowers to give us screening and bring in native pollinators. The vine maples and native roses can be propagated with cuttings so we'll save some money there, and we can collect natives (with a permit) so we'll know they are acclimatised for the area.

I will be placing bumblebee (one of the best tomato pollinators there is) nesting boxes (not really boxes more nest holes) inter-spaced along the hedgerow with mason bee (great pollinators for early blooming fruit trees) boxes spaced around the entire property.

I'll natter on endlessly on the gardening and other plans given half a chance. Did I mention the plans for the greenhouse?:celebrate

Back
Top Bottom