thanks for that idea. I worked at a telephone company for a few years. they had a large version of that water borer for going under roads.

I talked to my bil this morning. he just retired from that phone company. but he has a little pull left. he is going to see if he can borrow a small ditch witch that they use for burying drops. there is no actual electric current running through the wire. it is more like a radio signal.
I want to surround about 3 acres that won't ever get plowed by me. that should be plenty of room for the dogs. they usually stay within that area anyhow. I just don't want them on the road any more.
. the wire has to be just at grass root depth so I don't hit it with the lawn mower.
I am all for getting rid of all the dogs. Annie has other ideas. . this is one of her ideas..
she brought home a radio frequency thingy a few months ago. but it put our a circular pattern.
I could reach the 100 yards to the road with it, but it would go to the side 100 yards also. that land doesn't belong to me..
I made her take that one back.
.....jiminwisc......

Your very welcome. At least part of it was helpful. I don't really know anything about that kind of electric fence/barrier, but if it's for an outlet would need grounding.

It depends on where you live and what predators you have to consider. I also never shut the door, but I'm in a suburban area with very few potential critters to worry about.

We were in your camp a couple years ago, and even free ranged the chickens. But due to our remote location, the coyotes, feral dogs, coons and weasels changed that. We have foiled all the preds to date but don't trust the weasels, especially mink. They have gone on killing sprees at two of our neighbors flocks and dig, climb, chew, squeeze into and seemingly magically appear in the coops and runs. I feel confident the coop is secure, so we like to see them in their coop at night. We do have a large fully enclosed run that the coop door opens into. When we are away we'll leave the run-to-fenced yard doors closed but let the flock have access to the run during the day, and let the automatic door secure the coop at night.

Yes, we do have all of those predators too. I am talking about the small door between the coop and run is the one I leave open. I do have buried hardware cloth, so feel that it is "mostly" secure. But you are right, there is still a chance that something could dig in. When the weather cools more I will probably close it at night.

You can purchase a gadget (can't remember what it's called) that attaches to the garden hose and it will blast a tunnel under the driveway. You then need an approved conduit to run the wire through to prevent shock and it needs to be grounded.

All this talk about auto doors. Wondering if I might be in the minority. I leave my chicken door open 24/7. It goes into the run, so the chickens are free to come and go at will. This may change in winter time.
If i keep the pop door open, the guineas refuse to leave the coop. I have to chase them out and shut the door every morning.

Our hurricane refugees are on their way back to Florida. Hope they have a drama free return trip.
Now i can get back to finishing my coop and run, as well as my long neglected garden. Flower bulbs to plant for spring! So very much been missing those since we moved to FL from TN. Now in VA, we can grow them again.

I finally got a chance to start putting walls together.
yesterday I put the treated 2x4 sills down.
today was hot. I worked for awhile, took more breaks than work . so I gave up until after supper
then I went out and framed up a 12 foot long wall.
I have to side it before I stand it up because it will end up less than 2 inches from the garage wall.
I couldn't attach it directly to the garage because the garage is on a deep foundation below frost line. the shed is just a floating slab.
I am using 3 inch star head (torque) screws instead of nails. costs a little more, but there will not be that many used. maybe 3 pounds

had a nice steady southerly wind all day. I think the air is being pushed up from Irma.

I don't expect any rain from it, though.

.......jiminwisc.........

Do they know what they are looking at back home? Anything to deal with at their place(s) or did they come through (relatively) unscathed?
Yes, her parents went and checked the house. They will have to throw out all the food in their fridge because the power was out for so long. The house was not flooded. My other son had a tree fall but it went across the road and did not damage the house. They were really lucky. Power is still out.

I finally got a chance to start putting walls together.
yesterday I put the treated 2x4 sills down.
today was hot. I worked for awhile, took more breaks than work . so I gave up until after supper
then I went out and framed up a 12 foot long wall.
I have to side it before I stand it up because it will end up less than 2 inches from the garage wall.
I couldn't attach it directly to the garage because the garage is on a deep foundation below frost line. the shed is just a floating slab.
I am using 3 inch star head (torque) screws instead of nails. costs a little more, but there will not be that many used. maybe 3 pounds

had a nice steady southerly wind all day. I think the air is being pushed up from Irma.

I don't expect any rain from it, though.

.......jiminwisc.........
Don't forget to post some pictures for us to enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom