The biggest issue I have is the predators ( racoons) that are absolutely relentless in trying to dig under the fencing. I have taken 11 racoons with have a heart traps and they keep showing up. They leave their footprints all over the outside of the coop. Thankfully the predator apron is holding up.
I hope you are doing away with those, they will just be harder to catch next time. Maybe you need an electric fence around the coop perimeter.

Today I had such a sore shoulder I just laid around on the sofa, putting heat on it. I slept for several hours.
This evening I stapled the last of the roof onto the run of the hoop coop. So I hope that leaving the pop door open will be safe now. I also cut another piece of plywood for the quail hutch I am turning into a brooder. Just need to put the trim on the plywood tomorrow. And then I will make the sides of the hutch taller and install a cage for the lamps. It was dreadfully hot today, 96.4° at one point! Just as well to stay inside with weather like that.

when I had coon problems, I would trap them and haul them a few miles down to near a river. in one week I caught 8 of them.
One time I had my truck backed off the road with the trap on back. I open the trap and the coon runs into the woods. A car stops and the woman asked me what I did. I told her I let a coon loose. She said, now won't it come and bother me at my house? I told her no.
because when they are turned loose, like I just did, they don't come back this way ever. She bought it and I left.. :lau

a few miles away
No where near far enough.

Not sure where you live, or if you care,
but relocation is illegal in most states, for very good reasons.

Best just to shoot them before depositing in the woods, or put up a game camera so you can see the marked ones that are too smart to go back into the trap. ;)

:smack

If ya gonna trap it, kill it.

Yes.

Don't turn your problems into my problems.

I have taken 11 with at least one still out there. I take them a few miles away into the woods where there is a stream. to get back they would need to cross two main roads, a bridge or swim across a fairly large stream. I am going to start marking them in case there are any repeat offenders.

If you don't own the land you're releasing them on then you have no right to create problems for someone else.

I keep having people relocate in the forest preserve by me. It is illegal and the forest preserve will press charges if they catch them.
Once a coon has been trapped it's hard to retrap them, they learn. I end up spending the night sitting out with a gun to take care of someone else's problem that they decided to give me.
They can roam 3 to 10 miles a night. So they could be coming back.

I have taken 11 with at least one still out there. I take them a few miles away into the woods where there is a stream. to get back they would need to cross two main roads, a bridge or swim across a fairly large stream. I am going to start marking them in case there are any repeat offenders.

Back
Top Bottom