I don't know how many people know this little trick, but i use it a lot. When you have to interrupt your painting session, just pop your brush into a plastic sandwich bag and wrap it around snugly. I have kept paint brushes fresh for up to two weeks this way. Beats using a lot of water to rinse them out each time.

I don't know how many people know this little trick, but i use it a lot. When you have to interrupt your painting session, just pop your brush into a plastic sandwich bag and wrap it around snugly. I have kept paint brushes fresh for up to two weeks this way. Beats using a lot of water to rinse them out each time.

That's what I always do. Does keeping it in the freezer help even more?

When you are planning to build a coop, shop around online or by phone for your supplies. I saved a lot of money buying rough cut lumber instead of 2x4s from building supply places. $1.50 for 5/4 by 4"×8 feet instead of $3 per board. I bought plywood at Builders Discount and saved on that as well.

I will echo the comment of not being able to stand or reach easily every corner of the coop. I'm waiting to see how spiteful my girls are before rebuilding though. As it stands, I have to lean in with a rake to refresh the bedding (poop collection media) under the roosts.

I feel that I have gotten an education of building it and then reading everyone's comments and saying, yep, I did that also. Here is a fix.

I do prefer slanted roofs. The next one will be where I don't brain myself every time I'm looking down to avoid stomping a chicken. Doh! Who put that there?

You have no idea how many times I've cursed the fella I bought my house from for using those in all of his projects. They hold very well, but it is almost impossible to take apart anything that has been nailed with those without destroying it. I just use screws for everything.

X1000!!

I will echo the comment of not being able to stand or reach easily every corner of the coop. I'm waiting to see how spiteful my girls are before rebuilding though. As it stands, I have to lean in with a rake to refresh the bedding (poop collection media) under the roosts.

I feel that I have gotten an education of building it and then reading everyone's comments and saying, yep, I did that also. Here is a fix.

I do prefer slanted roofs. The next one will be where I don't brain myself every time I'm looking down to avoid stomping a chicken. Doh! Who put that there?
:lau
I learned something building horse stables that applies equally well to building for any animals and even for children. If you see something and think there couldn't possibly be a way they could hurt themselves on it, look harder. TRY hurting yourself with it intentionally, then make that impossible. Then go back and do it again.
Yes, they will find a way. A goat of mine hung itself on a hay feeder once forcing its head in through the cattle panel. Got stuck and i guess kept pulling til she choked herself, poor thing. I was devastated when i found her.

Back
Top Bottom