Tomorrow we put up the run so our pullets can "free range" when I school starts up in a few weeks, then onto the winter abode. Thank's for the advice - I'll be back for more soon.
Always happy to help! Looking forward to seeing pictures of your project.

Great thread! I check in every night now. It seems we are constantly evolving our coop and run. Some of the things that have worked to make things easier for us and the flock:
coop interior.GardenTillers44.jpg

I added 4 removable for cleaning 2x3 roosing bars at 12" x 12" intervals. You could use 2x4's with larger breeds. We also use trays under roosts and hanging feeders. Trays available at
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/category/s?keyword=garden+tray or at:
https://www.chewy.com/s?query=dog+crate+replacement+pans&nav-submit-button=

coop roosting bars.GardenTillers44.jpg

I originally wanted plastic 2x4's but realized they would sag over a 6 ft span.
coop screen.GardenTillers44.jpg

I added window screen over the predator screen on vent holes today to keep out mosquitoes (not shown). We put vent holes along the sides and at the rooftop. I have plexiglas squares to cover the holes by the perches in cooler weather.
Coop Herb garden.GardenTillers44 .jpg

Added raised bed herb boxes around the coop for nibbles and whatever benefits they may supply. Note the wire fencing arch over the bed to keep girls from tilling the bed.

garden area.GardenTillers44.jpg

We added a 275 sq ft run made of dog run fencing (2 gates) and dried it in with 2x4 rafters and corrugated Polylite at a 7 degree pitch for runoff. Once we are finished with the adjacent garden, we open the gates and let the girls enjoy the leftovers and till in this year's compost. The compound is surrounded by an electric Premier 1 Poultry Mesh, which hasn't been breeched in the 18 months we have used it.

Some of the things that have worked to make things easier for us and the flock:
Nice! I especially like the herb mesh. I'd like to grow some more "stuff" in and around the coops/runs, but stopping the girls from digging it all up is necessary. At the moment, I've got large pots around the outside (with indestructible plants in them), but I'd like to get more ground cover going, if I can. How have you pegged down the wire "tunnel"?

The removable roosts and trays are a good idea. I'm big on "removable". I'm thinking of taking out the fixed nest boxes in one of my coops and replacing with something removable. Lots of ideas, no energy to ever do it :(

Great thread! I check in every night now. It seems we are constantly evolving our coop and run. Some of the things that have worked to make things easier for us and the flock:
View attachment 1111973
I added 4 removable for cleaning 2x3 roosing bars at 12" x 12" intervals. You could use 2x4's with larger breeds. We also use trays under roosts and hanging feeders. Trays available at
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/category/s?keyword=garden+tray or at:
https://www.chewy.com/s?query=dog+crate+replacement+pans&nav-submit-button=

View attachment 1111975
I originally wanted plastic 2x4's but realized they would sag over a 6 ft span.
View attachment 1111976
I added window screen over the predator screen on vent holes today to keep out mosquitoes (not shown). We put vent holes along the sides and at the rooftop. I have plexiglas squares to cover the holes by the perches in cooler weather.
View attachment 1111978
Added raised bed herb boxes around the coop for nibbles and whatever benefits they may supply. Note the wire fencing arch over the bed to keep girls from tilling the bed.

View attachment 1111981
We added a 275 sq ft run made of dog run fencing (2 gates) and dried it in with 2x4 rafters and corrugated Polylite at a 7 degree pitch for runoff. Once we are finished with the adjacent garden, we open the gates and let the girls enjoy the leftovers and till in this year's compost. The compound is surrounded by an electric Premier 1 Poultry Mesh, which hasn't been breeched in the 18 months we have used it.
Wow! What a set up! Good Job! What types of chickens do you have?

CapricornFarm: "What types of chickens do you have?"

1-Partridge Rock (the Henmaster), 2-AmberLinks, 1-SL Wyandotte, 3-Welsummers, 3-Light Sussex, 2-Ameraucanas, 2-Olive Eggers, 1-Black Copper Marans, 1-Blue Copper Marans, 1-Buff Orpington, 1-RIR, 1-Jubilee Orpington roo, 1-Coronation Sussex roo

They all get along as well as chickens can. The PR rules the roost, even the roos don't mess with her. The roos get along so far and are watch over the girls, so far they also get along fine with us as well. We spend a lot of time working in the garden around the chickens and I think that helps with the attitude.

It was cleaning day today. A little off topic, but here are a couple accessories for the chicken yard and garden that have come in very handy:
Pooper Scooper (a great idea from a BYC post) and a garden Tubtrug (online at Amazon.com or Tubtrugs.com) that is easy to clean and sterilize. One of the kennel trays from Chewy.com that we put under the crumbles.
cleaning day.GardenTillers44.jpg

A stainless steel burn cage that we have used for all kinds of things including chicken yard waste that we don't compost. Good for biosecurity if needed. Where we live there is no trash service (or any service for that matter!) Pricey, but lasts a lifetime. http://www.drpower.com/power-equipment/burncage/burn bin.GardenTillers44.jpg

Back
Top Bottom