I went shopping today, got the one board i needed for the roof of the run, and the plywood for the cat scratch post. Plus a bunch of great deals on other stuff unrelated to building but needed none the less.
The contractor marked off where the goat shed will be built and put stakes in the ground!

I "need" more plants too :lau

Glad your goat shed is getting started, I love outside projects. They make you feel like you got something accomplished.

100_1031-1-jpg.1115127

this is the lean to that I just tore down.
I built it a long time ago out of red pine.
red pine rots quickly .
I am going to pitch the roof to the front so
the snow doesn't slide off onto the sidewalk next to the main chicken coop. it will be a conventional roof with a ridge board.
I am going to extend the roof to cover the sidewalk.
If I can ever find this thread again, I will post "after" pictures..

I don't know if this had been said, this was posted about 2 months ago, but I saw that old mixer and it made me think of something I saw in a video. if you cut it in half right where that lip is in the middle and get some old bike wheels and cut the spikes out of it (you need 3) or you can use wood for the frame and attach mesh (your size choice but the video used 1/2") then you can make a "sifter/tumbler" for your compost. just a thought

Attachments

• mixer tumbler.png
    mixer tumbler.png
    105.5 KB · Views: 29
I don't know if this had been said, this was posted about 2 months ago, but I saw that old mixer and it made me think of something I saw in a video. if you cut it in half right where that lip is in the middle and get some old bike wheels and cut the spikes out of it (you need 3) or you can use wood for the frame and attach mesh (your size choice but the video used 1/2") then you can make a "sifter/tumbler" for your compost. just a thought
Wow, what a great idea! I am lucky to get my pallet compost bin done. Still trying to finish my coop!

Today i am working on enclosing the run. Added another board, stapled the wire to it then added another piece of tin. That covers the first 10' section. The second section wil be covered completely in welded wire. I am lashing two 5 foot sections together with plastic coated clothes line cable. 20171003_123158.jpg
And i had to cut the welded wire and piece it around the big tulip tree. Then i attached it with big fence staples. Not pretty, but it should keep varmints out. 20171003_113557.jpg

Today i am working on enclosing the run. Added another board, stapled the wire to it then added another piece of tin. That covers the first 10' section. The second section wil be covered completely in welded wire. I am lashing two 5 foot sections together with plastic coated clothes line cable.View attachment 1151500
And i had to cut the welded wire and piece it around the big tulip tree. Then i attached it with big fence staples. Not pretty, but it should keep varmints out.View attachment 1151501
Should be pretty next year when it blooms!

Got nest boxes attached to the back...did a bit of changing up and added dust bath. Still have another roost to put back in since took out 2 shorter ones. Just not sure if I should put it low to the ground for my silkies, since they don't like to roost up high, if at all. That's also why I have a nest box almost on the ground cuz they won't go up into the higher ones. I'm hoping they will start to in new coop and I can take them out. Covered most of the roof today with water barrier roof material...adding rest and getting ready for drip edge...still not sure if will be shingles or metal on it IMG_20171003_171802644_HDR.jpg
IMG_20171003_171802644_HDR.jpg
IMG_20171003_171658689.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20171003_171830156.jpg
    IMG_20171003_171830156.jpg
    593.5 KB · Views: 26
things didn't go quite as planned today.
I got about half of the purlins cut and screwed in.
I still had to plumb the front wall.
It didn't want to budge. I ended up hooking up a come along to the wall and to the tractor.
It was a tough pull. I got it plumbed and braced .

then the rain came.

the puppies got into a fight yesterday.
one got bit right next to his eye. today the eye
is swelled half shut and there is an abscess above that eye.
took him to the vet. drained two vials of blood, puss and fluid out of the abscess.
got a shot, a bottle of pills and said goodbye to a $100.oo bill..
the pup is staying in the house tonight. He is taking quite well to being spoiled.
the eye is still super painful.
a couple of years ago we had to put a puppy down due to a similar wound.

......jiminwisc......

Back
Top Bottom