I learned that it is important when installing a gate latch to make sure that you put it on the correct side! I put the bar on the fixed side and the latch on the door, screwed everything down and then realized my run door couldn't open. The bar has to go on the moving piece. I was so proud of how nicely I lined everything up and then realized I had to redo it completely :(
View attachment 1156102

Another lessen learned, it is good to put the slider part of a barrel bolt on the door side. That way you can close the door one handed. If the slider is on the fixed wall side, then you need to push the door closed with one hand and then use a different hand to pull the slide in.
In the picture below, I did the top barrel bolt the right way and the bottom the wrong way. Time to redo another latch!

View attachment 1156106
Thanks for sharing that. Best way to remember how to do something is to learn from your mistake. Done that too!

20171009_135539.jpg
This is how i laid out the boards to assemble them for the floor of my coop. Seven 2x4x8 and Two 2x4x10 used. Note: be sure to measure and cut the 2x4x8 so you end up at 8 feet. Your plywood needs to cover the whole floor. I used pressure treated for all the wood on the floor, and put concrete blocks underneath to level the floor.

Last edited:
Oops....best lessons learn by re-doing.
A teacher I once had told me
.... don't despair, it's not how bad you fffffoul it up, it's how well you fix it.;)

Don't care much for those gate latches,
won't put them on anything that can't be reached around.
Have read numerous stories about folks getting locked in the coop or run.

I was one of those people..
of course nobody in the house ever checks up on me. I finally found a long enough, stiff enough , feather to reach the latch and flip it open. I was in there for about a half an hour.
after that I drilled a hole through the frame and pushed a still piece of wire through and attached it to the trigger. it still works after about 7 years..

I got the roof completed this morning,
and just finished putting the last piece of siding on.
now I am drawing my window frame..
I like this part because I can use the table saw and the planer..
the windows will be fixed. I am deciding if I want to make the sill slanted.. I am leaning towards "yes". a little more work, but I have the tools for it.

I did LOL at the hinge mistake.
it is funny how well things fit when they are in the wrong place, eh ?
.....jimiinwisc.....

Cool to draw your plans up after the fact....asbuilting.
Brave to do it in ink, I always use pencil, like screws, so you can redo the f'ups. :D

Got shade cloths down and put away, hammock and crates cleaned.
Off topic but.... here's the crate stand with poop hammock can fit 4 crates.
Bring the birds in off roost after dark the night before slaughtering.
upload_2017-10-9_17-25-20.png

it is good to put the slider part of a barrel bolt on the door side.
The bigger barrel bolts/padbolts WILL move and stop lining up with the other bit. I buy saddle clamps in a bigger size and replace the original one.
Don't care much for those gate latches,
won't put them on anything that can't be reached around.
Have read numerous stories about folks getting locked in the coop or run.
You can buy ones that have a bar so you can use it from the other side. I got one for my run. I can shut the run door and get out from the inside. It's not this exact one, but the bar that attaches to the top of the latch is the same. Somebody handy could probably just make one to attach to "normal" latches. (dOH, like jvls1942
https://www.bunnings.com.au/arc-fences-zinc-plated-gate-fitting-bolt-on-d-latch-kit_p1146645
On my other run, where I don't have to shut the door and it shouldn't close behind me, I attached a wire to the latch which goes up and over. If the gate ever did shut me in, I can open it from the inside with the wire.

Cool to draw your plans up after the fact....asbuilting.
Brave to do it in ink, I always use pencil, like screws, so you can redo the f'ups. :D

Got shade cloths down and put away, hammock and crates cleaned.
Off topic but.... here's the crate stand with poop hammock can fit 4 crates.
Bring the birds in off roost after dark the night before slaughtering.
View attachment 1156459
I dislike pencil and prefer ink. Had to redraw the original plans because i scribble numbers for building supply places, lumber mills etc all over the plans. Keep them on the clip board so i don't lose pieces.

Back
Top Bottom