And the plan for the back wall.View attachment 1156301

You "might" want to post your plans and photos in the Coop section as a new topic "CapricornFarm's coop build".

I sorta locked myself in once, but after some jiggling and banging on the door it finally opened. It's one of those hasps that has a rotating loop thing. I now make sure I put the carabiner back in the loop before I go in. I was a bit worried because nobody would come looking for me either. Both of my parents are elderly and disabled.

I worry about that happening. It's thankfully not too possible in the large coop as I have a hook with a safety spring on the storm door that takes two hands to operate. If I did get locked in my only way out would be through the pop door.... Which would be worth the price of admission no matter what the cost.

Or I'd be breaking out a window.

I did get locked into the bottom half of my two level old portable coop once. I'd crawled in to grab a chick and the door clicked shut behind me. No way out. I used a little stick to jiggle the latch open. It was that or kick the door out.

Lesson learned. Always have an emergency exit plan.

Really enjoying the thread. Yeah I skipped ahead a bit. I think I'm up to page 18 in reality.

I worry about that happening. It's thankfully not too possible in the large coop as I have a hook with a safety spring on the storm door that takes two hands to operate. If I did get locked in my only way out would be through the pop door.... Which would be worth the price of admission no matter what the cost.

Or I'd be breaking out a window.

I did get locked into the bottom half of my two level old portable coop once. I'd crawled in to grab a chick and the door clicked shut behind me. No way out. I used a little stick to jiggle the latch open. It was that or kick the door out.

Lesson learned. Always have an emergency exit plan.

Really enjoying the thread. Yeah I skipped ahead a bit. I think I'm up to page 18 in reality.
Thanks, Micro. It has been so much fun and i learned a lot from others!

Planning to build a hoop coop for the guineas. I think it should be a quick build and fairly cheap! Now if the weather would just get less humid.

good evening,
it is happening to me again, I am not getting notified when people post , here and on
wisc cheeseheads..

I have a regular steel door on the chicken coop.
it has the regular door latch. I modified it because in the winter the building heaves and the latch does not line up . so I removed that metal striker plate and made an oak strip in it's place. now the door can move up and down all it wants and the latch will always line up with the slot.

I slammed that door so many times that the window is about to fall out..

the 3 guineas, 2 geese and 1 chicken are all sharing the coop now. I just leave the door open.
today I went and bought 100# of ground oats and corn . that should last awhile for just those few birds.
last winter I was going through 50# in
3 days with all the birds I had.
the oats and corn was quite inexpensive today. less than $16.oo/100#

tomorrow I hope to make the sills for the two windows in the new shed. I decided to go with the slanted sill. a little more work, but it will look more professional.

With my bad eyesight, I draw my plans with magic marker, fine tip.
I mark my saw cuts with it , too.
........jiminwisc.......

good evening,
it is happening to me again, I am not getting notified when people post , here and on
wisc cheeseheads..

I have a regular steel door on the chicken coop.
it has the regular door latch. I modified it because in the winter the building heaves and the latch does not line up . so I removed that metal striker plate and made an oak strip in it's place. now the door can move up and down all it wants and the latch will always line up with the slot.

I slammed that door so many times that the window is about to fall out..

the 3 guineas, 2 geese and 1 chicken are all sharing the coop now. I just leave the door open.
today I went and bought 100# of ground oats and corn . that should last awhile for just those few birds.
last winter I was going through 50# in
3 days with all the birds I had.
the oats and corn was quite inexpensive today. less than $16.oo/100#

tomorrow I hope to make the sills for the two windows in the new shed. I decided to go with the slanted sill. a little more work, but it will look more professional.

With my bad eyesight, I draw my plans with magic marker, fine tip.
I mark my saw cuts with it , too.
........jiminwisc.......
Hey Jim, Do you ferment those grains? Have you ever built a hoop coop? I have been using pencil to mark things but when it is overcast or getting dark seems like fine line marker is a better idea. I use pens sometimes.

Hey Aart, Have you ever built a hoop coop?
Yep, built a mobile one and sold it to my local meat grower, so I still get to see it and right now it's full of turkeys 2 of which will be in my freezer in Nov.... started another never finished it, other stuff got in the way.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-hoop-coop-chicken-tractor.72211/

Also helped design that guinea high hoop I posted on another recent thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...sign-development.1120946/page-5#post-17448929

Back
Top Bottom