Super excited!!! Found a family with Maran hatching eggs that are reasonablely priced. Their hens have taken grand champion and numerous other awards at the fair for their Marans. Tomorrow I pick up 2 dozen hatching eggs. They will be a variety of blue, black, splash, cuckoo, white and wheaten. They are all pure Marans.
That is so exciting! And hatching eggs is so freaking fun! DP is aching to get some more eggs to hatch but we are outta chicken room. Are you going to breed or are these egg birds?

That is so exciting! And hatching eggs is so freaking fun! DP is aching to get some more eggs to hatch but we are outta chicken room. Are you going to breed or are these egg birds?
A little bit of both...for eggs and breeding. My New Years resolution was to start operating our ranch like a business. I sold all my goat kids and have a waiting list for next year, we will be selling beef this year. I’m constantly sold out of eggs right now and so we are going to focus on 2 breeds that I like most for versatility, the coronation lavender Sussex and and the Marans. I think we will be ok space wise. I know the husband is building a new coop so I may end up with 2 coops for a while. That would be heavenly!!!

we did the same thing, only we went bean picking. It was always just before the county fair so we could make some money to go spend foolishly.
The transportation the farmers used would certainly not be allowed today. We rode in the back of trucks.. They paid us 2 to 4 cents a pound . after awhile the farmers knew who the best pickers were and they loaded them into the trucks first. I was not one of them.. LOL
The other job was going to Green Bay to pick cherries. They had bunk houses where the kids stayed. I was not old enough to go there. and when I finally got old enough, they quit hiring kids..
So when I got out of 8th grade, I hired on to a chicken farm in Northern Wisconsin,, Conover.. Room and board plus a mere pittance for wages.. We butchered hundreds of chickens twice per week..cut them all in half for half fryers..
.......jiminwisc....
surprised you didn't get burned out on dealing with chickens. I know I didn't want a hobby that was a past job. LOL

I must be weird that way, My former job was a building contractor and I still love to build things.. what I do not miss are the people. I had very few customers that I didn't get along with, but the stress of pleasing them was the same.
I walked off of only one job.
I just was out to check on the potted plants.. they are all doing fine. It is 54F and very windy. still threatening to rain.

.....jiminwisc.........

A little bit of both...for eggs and breeding. My New Years resolution was to start operating our ranch like a business. I sold all my goat kids and have a waiting list for next year, we will be selling beef this year. I’m constantly sold out of eggs right now and so we are going to focus on 2 breeds that I like most for versatility, the coronation lavender Sussex and and the Marans. I think we will be ok space wise. I know the husband is building a new coop so I may end up with 2 coops for a while. That would be heavenly!!!
Only 2 coops? Poor dear. I have 7 big coops and a whole bunch of hutches, brooders etc. Lol, nice to have a hubby build coops. I build most of mine by myself. Sounds like you have nice birds!

Y

You’ll have to share some pictures
Today I dug up a Mule load of dirt to cover the apron.
20200518_150204.jpg
20200518_150204.jpg

Back
Top Bottom