The new style chicken wire sucks. the old timey stuff lasted forever . I had some old stuff that I tossed onto the burn pile. even after several fires and years the wire was still good. except it was bent all out of shape..
Molpet, the rumor is out that if Cappy builds two more coops they will have to elect a mayor..
Ollie came home today. I had to leave as soon as he got here so I did not get to drive him.
Annie bought yet another freezer today from Sam's club. A small upright apartment sized one. She is a freezer hoarder. Two large chest types, One upright, plus this new small one. plus two large refrigerators with freezers in them.
Dan got the new/used wood stove hooked up in the shop. The door handle needs fixing. I put a new gasket on the door. 3/4" Was way too thick so I am trying a half inch thick one. I have a 5/8" one in reserve.
.....jiminwisc..........

You must have 2 or 3 dz coops by now.
What is the average size and how many birds do they hold comfortably?
They range from 2 feet by 3 feet for brooders or quail hutches to maybe 8x 18 for the hoop coop. Number of chickens they hold depends on age of chickens and breeds. I no longer have quail, so I plan to combine quail hutches to house some of the bantams. And add runs to them. I try to give them 4 square feet in the coop for adult Large fowl, 10 square feet in the run. Have to be creative, because hubby only wanted me to have a few chickens for eggs...lol!

I agree Jim, they keep making wire thinner and weaker. Even the hardware cloth is not what it used to be. Probably because it's all made in china now.

I worked on small things that need to be fixed in the barn yard for a bit and tried to get all the critters taken care of in case it does rain tomorrow.
Here is my latest " Diamond painting "
20210107_142959.jpg

Turkey hen wasn't happy. Found an Egg thief, it in a nest box. Igloo dog house. Not afraid of me. I hit it with a metal serving spoon, grabbed it with a grabber around the neck, hit it with the grabber. It tried to run by me and I grabbed it by the neck and shook it and it still wouldn't play possum... threw it in the cage of doom. Tracked it back to my side drive and car tracks. I get to take care of someone's else problem
KIMG0318_01.JPG

Tracked it back to my side drive and car tracks. I get to take care of someone's else problem

That makes me so ANGRY.

I always tell people who are contemplating live-trapping that it's immoral to release a problem animal on any property that they don't personally own.

Usually illegal too -- but definitely immoral to push their problem off on someone else.

Turkey hen wasn't happy. Found an Egg thief, it in a nest box. Igloo dog house. Not afraid of me. I hit it with a metal serving spoon, grabbed it with a grabber around the neck, hit it with the grabber. It tried to run by me and I grabbed it by the neck and shook it and it still wouldn't play possum... threw it in the cage of doom.
Possum Wrassler!!

to me, possums are about equal to snakes.
I have never had to deal with a possum, Too far north.. I've seen dead ones along the highway. I figure those fell off of a semi after hitching a free ride ..
Some people eat snakes and possums. I won't eat anything that I won't touch with my hands..
Had crappies for supper. IDK who gave them to us. I just know that I did not clean them. they had skin on, tails and back fins on. I don't mind picking bones, but I don't like fish skin.
My brother is going ice fishing . I told him to bring me some bluegills and perch, and crappies. I will clean them.. He usually doesn't fish for them. He goes after Northern pikes and walleyes..
Boots, haven't heard from you in a while.
Hope you two are doing OK ..
.........jiminwisc........

Back
Top Bottom