How long will they be?
That diameter is probably pretty stiff so can handle a pretty large span without sagging.

That's a good question. I'm still figuring out my layout.

Either 8 or 12 feet, depending on how we partition the space. (There's going to be a 4x8 grow-out/integration facility in one corner).

Neat. A teensy bit jealous here! That will make me think harder about expanding my run. :thumbsup

It started out as 8x12. Then DH suggested 12 x 16 since I wasn't going to have an enclosed coop portion. Then he was starting to dig postholes, came up, stuck his head around the corner and asked, "How about 16x16?"

I didn't argue!

Mine is 16 x 16...I didn't build it tho.
What kind of roof will it have?
A clerestory. He's sketched the idea out for me but his plans are evolving as he works.

He's aware of ventilation being critical.

Probably a metal roof -- we're not impressed by the flimsy plastic we've seen at Lowes or with the Ondura that was on a structure we took down from this property (which would have been the conversion for the chicken coop except that we discovered that nothing about the building was square or plumb and no two walls were the same length or height).

A clerestory. He's sketched the idea out for me but his plans are evolving as he works.

He's aware of ventilation being critical.

Probably a metal roof -- we're not impressed by the flimsy plastic we've seen at Lowes or with the Ondura that was on a structure we took down from this property (which would have been the conversion for the chicken coop except that we discovered that nothing about the building was square or plumb and no two walls were the same length or height).

Ondura has had almost exclusively negative long term feedback in my tiny corner of the world. Cracks too easily, can't be repaired easily, has to be painted constantly to prevent UV breakdown, not great for large spans, and subject to a lot of thermal expansion and contraction.

My Lowes couldn't discount it low enough to get people to take it. Manufacturer has discontinued the original product lines entirely, replacing it with Ondura Premium - thicker, hopefully more durable, but I'm not willing to be a test subject at any price.

Ondura has had almost exclusively negative long term feedback in my tiny corner of the world. Cracks too easily, can't be repaired easily, has to be painted constantly to prevent UV breakdown, not great for large spans, and subject to a lot of thermal expansion and contraction.

My Lowes couldn't discount it low enough to get people to take it. Manufacturer has discontinued the original product lines entirely, replacing it with Ondura Premium - thicker, hopefully more durable, but I'm not willing to be a test subject at any price.

The roof on the structure (calling it a "building" or even a "pavillion" is being too generous), was in very poor shape and not just due to the previous owners appallingly-bad construction skills.

I went looking, on a lark, and found the same site I ran across when I looked at the project for my pool house at the old property, back when. Glad I did my research.

Learned a lot from installing GAF 3 tab architectural instead of the Ondura after a complete tear off and new roof on that pool house, too. Only a little more that 2 squares, with nothing more modern than a hammer in the TX heat, and I'm never doing asphalt shingles again. :)

Stick with sheet metal. I am. ;) Well, except the new house. That will be concrete. But for the animals, sheet metal is just fine.

Back
Top Bottom