OUCH !!! I always wanted a horse, but I never could justify the expense.
today we got more done than we expected. I drained the excess oil out of the lawnmower. Annie rolled up the hoses and picked up the rest of the downed branches. I mowed the back yard. Then I showed Annie how to operate the lawn mower. I mowed the steep bank along the driveway and then let her go at the flat area. She did very well. Once she has a little more practice, I won't have to mow anymore. lol
I mowed the edible garden area. It is coming to life. One of the pears has blossoms, the plum tree is loaded with blossome. they smell so nice. the garlic is about a foot tall. no scapes, yet. the grapes are not showing buds yet, except for one. it is budded all the way to the tip. no asparagus yet. rhubarb can be harvested soon. apple and cherry trees are budding nicely.
I have to call the fixit shop about the tractor tomorrow. I want to make raised rows with my disc hiller. but I NEED A TRACTOR !!!!

I like mowing.

DH does landscape and maintenance and spends 30 out of 40 hours in the week on a mower so I don't think it's fair to have him mow at home too.

We were going to buy me a zero turn this year, but it doesn't fit the budget so I have to wrestle the bad steering on the mower we have for one more summer. :(

Aart. One good thing is your deck is off so you can get the blades off easier. My deck is a beast to take off.
I am going to try to get the blades off with the deck on. With my other mower I used to raise it up with the tractor loader and let it hang. blades were easy to get off that way.
today we cut the tips off of one of the black walnut trees. they hung down too low to ride the mower under. as long as the lilac bush was right there, why not cut the dead branches and low hanging branches to make mowing easier there, too ? so as long as the mulberry tree was right there, why not cut the lower branches off of that, too?
I used the electric chain saw. Had to stop and file the rakers down a bit. It helped some.
After supper I went out and filed the rakers down a little more. then I reversed the bar and adjusted the chain tension. then I went down and mowed around the grape arbor
Annie is a real trooper when we work together. I keep telling her to take it easy.

Aart. One good thing is your deck is off so you can get the blades off easier. My deck is a beast to take off.
Yah, deck on and off is not fun, but can't run the thrower with the deck on...so.
Got the blades sharpened and bolted onto deck.
Tomorrow, hopefully, deck goes on and I can start to 'hay'.

I too am pondering my vastly overgrown lawn. I've been sick since before Easter and it's only been mown once instead of weekly.

I'm also planning to let the chickens out of confinement now that the weather has gotten hot so I need to mow the over-growth in the run to stimulate fresh, tender growth and tomake a good, short path for the fence.

I'm on new meds again and feeling noticeably better this morning so *maybe* I can start wrestling the difficult steering tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

Aart, good luck with that mower deck. I find that kneeling down and standing back up is the hardest part of removing mine.
with my old Husqvarna zero turn I just lifted it up with the tractor loader , I think I said that before.
I am going to finish the first cutting with the dull blades. there are so many things to hit the first time we mow. unseen twigs, hunks of sod etc.
...I cut my grass at the highest setting. I have never had it burn out.

Aart, good luck with that mower deck. I find that kneeling down and standing back up is the hardest part of removing mine.
True Dat!
I can't really kneel at all, especially on concrete.
So it's feet or butt, but yeah, getting up and down is laborious.
I use a low rolling stool for a lot of stuff.

we just went out and marked four neglected grape vines. they are laying in the grass where the old arbor was years ago. Of course they are not in a nice straight row so I can't just build a nice arbor. I am going to make some sort of individual support for each one. maybe something T shaped. Any ideas ? I am thinking a steel fence post for the main support.
Annie just took the grape seeds out of the crisper drawer. I had them in there to stratify them. I hope it worked.

Back
Top Bottom