I planted a grove of 100 black walnut trees over 30 years ago. have about 80 that survived. None are big enough to cut for lumber yet. I probably won't see the day that they are..
my advice to anyone who wants to do this is, don't.
I can't tell you how many of my fruit trees and some other plants have died as a result of being too close to these trees.
and after the trees are harvested, the ground is still toxic..
I should have done more research ..
we just had a new fan/light installed in our bathroom yesterday.. the electrician had to go into the attic to run a new wire.
he said there were bushels of black walnuts up there. thanks to the red squirrels.. I thought I had all the access holes eliminated, but they find new ones.
they actually can run and climb on my cedar board and batt siding. so I think they go in through the gable vents..

I planted a grove of 100 black walnut trees over 30 years ago. have about 80 that survived. None are big enough to cut for lumber yet. I probably won't see the day that they are..
my advice to anyone who wants to do this is, don't.
I can't tell you how many of my fruit trees and some other plants have died as a result of being too close to these trees.
and after the trees are harvested, the ground is still toxic..
I should have done more research ..
we just had a new fan/light installed in our bathroom yesterday.. the electrician had to go into the attic to run a new wire.
he said there were bushels of black walnuts up there. thanks to the red squirrels.. I thought I had all the access holes eliminated, but they find new ones.
they actually can run and climb on my cedar board and batt siding. so I think they go in through the gable vents..

I had to eliminate the pine squirrels. I seen the first one in spring 22 and that fall they were packing the car fenders, engine and hood with walnuts.
KIMG0398_01.JPG

Final straw was when I found they had Chewed through the washer fluid lines in the hood.

I had to eliminate the pine squirrels. I seen the first one in spring 22 and that fall they were packing the car fenders, engine and hood with walnuts.
View attachment 3778868

Final straw was when I found they had Chewed through the washer fluid lines in the hood.
my DD had a car parked here for about a year. when they came for it, there was a bushel of black walnuts stashed in front of the radiator.
I have a suspended ceiling in my chicken coop. I pulled a 2' x 2' tile out and about a half bushel of nuts fell out. there are about 20 tiles in that coop. guess how many nuts must be stored in there ??

About a billion up there
my DD had a car parked here for about a year. when they came for it, there was a bushel of black walnuts stashed in front of the radiator.
I have a suspended ceiling in my chicken coop. I pulled a 2' x 2' tile out and about a half bushel of nuts fell out. there are about 20 tiles in that coop. guess how many nuts must be stored in there ?

that fall they were packing the car fenders, engine and hood with walnuts.
Why I like a fairly impenetrable garage, tho I had mice fill the hood with corn I had stored in there.

Had a red squirrel nest in an AC unit I had stored in it's box in a shed, the coop shed before I had chickens. Got ready to get it out one spring and heard something in there, I carefully cut open the front of the box and 4-5 squirrels dashed out. I, and they, screamed and ran from the shed. Luckily they didn't stink up the AC unit, tho they did eat the fan blades but that was pretty easily replaced. :gig

Why I like a fairly impenetrable garage, tho I had mice fill the hood with corn I had stored in there.

Had a red squirrel nest in an AC unit I had stored in it's box in a shed, the coop shed before I had chickens. Got ready to get it out one spring and heard something in there, I carefully cut open the front of the box and 4-5 squirrels dashed out. I, and they, screamed and ran from the shed. Luckily they didn't stink up the AC unit, tho they did eat the fan blades but that was pretty easily replaced. :gig
Kinda hard not to scream when a bunch of screaming squirrels jump out 😂
I had a bucket of walnuts in the basement. I forgot all about them until I found them under the top of the stove by the electric burners. I assume mice because I didn't see any larger scat.

Back
Top Bottom