Helpful info for birds with breathing problems..............

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenzoo, Oct 28, 2009.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

In helping people with ill birds as well as dealing with some myself i have a few things i do that many of you might find helpful.

Birds having wheezing in the lungs due to illness:
    You can often find human nebulizers on craigslist for $20 or so. They are good to keep on hand. You can fill the medicine chamber with 1cc of tylan, LA200, baytril liquid etc, mixed with sterile saline. It makes the meds into a fine mist..... Find a clear plastic container with lockable lid, ( but not air tight) just big enough for the bird and a few inches, then make a hole in one side about one inch higher than midway, so the pipe of the neb will fit in. Now you have a medicine chamber. This helps get them meds deep into the lungs.
    Helps also for those that just can't give shots.

Childrens Cold/Flu Elixir ( WAL for under $3) Grape flavor - I mix the cap full to a quart of water. The birds seem to like the grape flavor. Helps relieve sinus pressure, congestion etc.... in those I used it on. Will also let them take a sip of it from a bottle cap....
    Make sure it does not contain alcohol or pain relief

Note; With all meds stick to one and use it , do not mix meds.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  2. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    Oxine is good, too..

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I've tried my Oxine, but not had as much luck with it.....but you can use it in the nebulizer also.

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Thank you so much for posting this-I personally think this is GREAT information to have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by