Hemp Bedding for Ducks?

I use it and buy it from a local business here. It's great for chickens and I use it in my duckhouse for the ducks. It definitely helps with moisture. I'm planning to try it on the outside area, so we'll see. I get a large packed bundle for $22 and it lasts me forever, so I find it totally affordable.

I bought mine from New Organics:
http://www.newcountryorganics.com/s...pecialty/hemp-bedding-5-cu-ft-bag-30-lbs.html

It's good stuff. Lasts a long time too.
Shipping made it quite pricey for me as I'm in NY and it ships from VA.
But a hemp processing facility will be opening in Broome county very soon so I'm hopeful I will have a local source in the near future.

This is the same thing I use and I compared to pine shavings and it's comparable because of how long it lasts.

Just found this at walmart! Not a large bag, but it's just under $5. Thankfully, it is all I need for my 3 ducks!

Attachments

• 15641932681654429015436457980093.jpg
    15641932681654429015436457980093.jpg
    521.8 KB · Views: 20
Loooove hemp! What isn't it good for!? It's an incredible plant, it's got so many uses. It's fibers can be used to make basically anything: clothes, paper, rope, bedding, you name it. It can even be used to make a type of natural concrete which is one of the strongest and most sustainable building materials of its kind. It's extremely healthy. It's seeds and its oil are very good for you, and have some real culinary potential. It's extremely cold hardy and super easy to grow. I completely recommend growing it for yourself, there's so much you could use it for. It's super hardy and low maintenance, as mentioned earlier in this thread. It does better in slightly colder climates, it's a cold climate cousin of cannabis, but I'm sure it does fine in warm weather, too.
Sorry for the BLOCK of text, a botanist can't help himself!:idunno
There's even more that I could say for cannabis, but that's a conversation for another time.:oops:

Another important thing to add is that it's usually NOT cheap, so growing it yourself is way more cost-efficient. And when it is really cheap, it's usually because it's mass-produced or sprayed with pesticides or a whole range of other nasty stuff. If you've got the time, ALWAYS render it yourself. If you don't mind the high cost, spring for organic.

Well here i can grow 6 giant dope plants in my garden if i want! But i dont touch the stuff anyway

Hemp is different and doesnt produce the THC oils that get you stoned, Its actualy an excellent matterial and i think it would be great bedding as far as absorbance
I've used ground hemp for my 6 ducks for months. Easy to clean poop and put in outside pile. I'm hoping to mix with garden mix this spring for raised bed veg garden.

Back
Top Bottom