Hemp Bedding

I love hemp since it can be used for almost everything. You can also buy big bags for a low cost! It is warm and doesn't have to be changed as often as other bedding.
I clean up all the poop (by just scooping it up) a few times a week. Then when it gets too dirty I just rake it all up and replace it.
20210613_195206_HDR.jpg

Hen raising chicks in the coop which has warm hemp!
20210611_160357_HDR.jpg

Hemp is good for foraging and dust baths, as demonstrated here!
20210323_075244_HDR.jpg

Hemp in the brooder!

IMG-20190812-WA0008.jpg

Hemp can be used for other pets too!

I added hemp after cleaning out my deep bedding‍. I don't have a great deal down- I toss it down and let them sort it out. They have about 2" spread out w/more bunched to build their nests. As it doesn't need changed as often (suggested 1-2x a yr), I thought I'd just add to gradually.
It gets hot in Indiana but nothing like you experience. Perhaps I should have a thermometer in there, but I don't.
We had a couple of record breaking heat days last week. Though the goons free range during the day, I noticed that at the hottest part of afternoon, they voluntarily returned to the coop. When I went in to check on them, I was surprised that it was as cool as it was, bc w/wood chips, I wld sweat in there even w/the windows open, and the birds weren't- panting?- as they had been outside.
I can say the hemp is lighter than other material, so it doesn't absorb heat. It stays dry,not holding humidity. I've put it on drop boards as well instead of zeolite.
I tried to find info on bedding for summertime, without success. This one addresses types, including hemp,so I learned more about it. https://zacsgarden.com/chicken-husb...0-best-chicken-coop-bedding-options-reviewed/

Other sites confirmed my thinking, to stick to 2" or less of whatever bedding being used in the summer so it isn't bldg up heat.
Hope this helps.🙂
Oh, wow! That sounds promising. I had sand on the floor of my coop, but over the winter it was anything but warm. I ended up going over with a deep layer of pine, but now.... 🥵. I started scooping it all out, but I haven’t been able to get it all out yet with this heat. I do think that it’s already noticeably cooler, but I don’t have enough sand for it to be a nice deep layer. So, decision time. I’m going to look around and see what’s available here or online. Thank you for your response! I’m going to check out the link today.

Hemp is what I use for EVERYTHING!
tortoise enclosure, chicken coop and run. I also use it for chick brooders
That would be amazing to have a one and done bedding. I have a Sulcata and my chickens found some of her damp coco coir a few days ago. It was cool and they were happy campers! At the risk of sounding whiny, I’m pretty tired of pine shavings. They serve their purpose, but someone is going to have to convince me that they don’t reproduce when I’m not looking.

I’ve been wondering about using hemp. How would you say it runs temp wise? I’m in Texas and it’s just so hot. The pine shavings I currently have aren’t doing my flock any favors. I’m vacillating between hemp, coconut coir, and sand.
I’m here in Florida…and personally find my chickens stay way cooler in their sand..they won’t even sleep in their well ventilated new coop…they just like the cool sand…I have to constantly re-add buckets of it because they dig big holes for coolness, i even moved their nesting boxes out in the run with sand bottoms…and just a little hay for the “nest shape” and they push all the hay out, dig a fresh cool sand pit and they all lay in the same box…also makes cleaning poo super easy (kind of acts like cat litter). i have heavy breeds…so I’m hoping this method works for me this summer too

Yeah, staying cool is the name of the game for Texan and Floridian chickens! I think my main concern with sand it keeping it in the general vicinity of where I put it. My dogs and torrential rains of late aren’t helping much.

Side note: I went to Florida for the first time in April and LOVED it. What a beautiful state! I took my teen daughter and we hit Cocoa Beach, Orlando, and over to Clearwater with lots of stops in between.

OOO!! Where are you getting yours? As I said, I paid $33 for a bale, comparable to the size of a bale of shavings, which cost about $7. I really like the hemp, but maybe not 5 times as much as the pine....
I bought mine from my local poultry supply shop. It was a huge bale for no more than £20

Back
Top Bottom