Hen’s Breed?

Frizzlett98

Songster
9 Years
Jun 22, 2014
Southwest Virginia
I got this hen, Gretchen, about a month ago. She is almost 11 months old. We were told she’s a Jersey Giant. But she doesn’t look like our other two Jersey’s that we’ve raised from 3 days old. Gretchen is brown instead of black like my other two. She’s now smaller than my Cochin rooster who is 4 months old. Shes also quite slender which I would expect from an egg breed. She is also only around 5 pounds. Nowhere near the mature weight of a Jersey. She has less weight for her size than the smaller two. I’ve looked at her feet. Sometimes they look pink, sometimes they look yellow. I really don’t believe she’s a Jersey. Maybe just a bad quality one? Or a mix? Thoughts?

Here she is.

IMG_4452.jpeg

Here is one of my little Jersey’s for color comparison.

IMG_4453.jpeg

Where did you get her? And can you get a picture of the bottom of her feet? I’m thinking she might be a chocolate Orpington, though she’s pretty small for that. Jerseys don’t come in brown.

Where did you get her? And can you get a picture of the bottom of her feet? I’m thinking she might be a chocolate Orpington, though she’s pretty small for that. Jerseys don’t come in brown.
I got her from a local man downsizing his flock. I can get a picture of her feet later today. I think she brought in worms, which explains her lower weight. We recently dewormed and everyone is back to normal and gaining weight. But I don’t think she’s got another 5lbs of growth ahead of her.

I got this hen, Gretchen, about a month ago. She is almost 11 months old. We were told she’s a Jersey Giant. But she doesn’t look like our other two Jersey’s that we’ve raised from 3 days old. Gretchen is brown instead of black like my other two. She’s now smaller than my Cochin rooster who is 4 months old. Shes also quite slender which I would expect from an egg breed. She is also only around 5 pounds. Nowhere near the mature weight of a Jersey. She has less weight for her size than the smaller two. I’ve looked at her feet. Sometimes they look pink, sometimes they look yellow. I really don’t believe she’s a Jersey. Maybe just a bad quality one? Or a mix? Thoughts?

Here she is.

View attachment 3834861

View attachment 3834862
I don’t believe that she is a jersey giant where did you get her from?

Here she is.

View attachment 3834861

View attachment 3834862
Where did you get her ? At her age she should be a lot bigger than that but I agree with everyone else she’s a Orpington

Where did you get her ? At her age she should be a lot bigger than that but I agree with everyone else she’s a Orpington
Got her from a local guy. She’s not an Orpington. I wish she were. I love Orpingtons. But she doesn’t have the body shape for one. The original picture was her squatting to get a drink so she looks like one in that position. She’s quite tall and slender.

She looks like a mix to me. Any close and sharp pictures of her comb?
Here’s the pictures. She’s quite “spicy “ today so sorry if the feet ones aren’t great lol.
IMG_4460.jpeg

IMG_4461.jpeg

IMG_4462.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom