Hen 7months, no eggs yet, unknown illness

Emerald_Oceans

In the Brooder
Dec 23, 2023
Buffalo NY
My girl has been treated with corid for 7 days, gets poultry cell for the last 4 days. Getting meal worms, egg, and a high quality layer feed. Also being sprayed with poultry protector. She is still very sick looking droopy wings, sleeping a lot, unbalanced, and very wet poop.

Can you tell us how old she is, and if she is laying eggs? Any pictures of her and her poop? How long has she been sick? Is she eating and drinking? Have you seen lice or mites on her? I would not spray her during cold weather. If there are mites or lice, permethrin garden dust would be more appropriate.

7 months, no she has never laid an egg so I just assumed infertility. She eats and drinks. I have seen small bugs in her feathers and she has these patches on her skin. I forgot to include above I have been putting Diatomaceous Earth powder on her feathers.(Recommended by another chicken keeper) also she has been sick or showing signs the 23rd.

Attachments

• 20240103_183733.jpg
    20240103_183733.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 9
  • received_318837027801795.jpeg
    received_318837027801795.jpeg
    359.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240103_183805.jpg
    20240103_183805.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 7
  • received_1406021400320166.jpeg
    received_1406021400320166.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 8
DE won’t treat an active lice or mite infestation. Can you tell if the bugs have 6 or 8 legs? Permethrin garden dust is usually available in most feed stores. Her poop looks to be pure watery liquid, is that what most look like? Is she eating anything? If not try some soft scrambled egg or mushy wet feed. I would be tempted to start some antibiotics, such as Tylan or AquaMox amoxicillin for possible enteritis, an intestinal infection. Hard to know exactly what is going on with her. The scaly skin lesions could possibly be a form of Mareks disease, but hopefully not. Here is a pic of what to look for to tell if it is lice or mites:
1704330116737.jpeg

Poultry louse I'm pretty sure. She is eating she has always been a light eater. She did get a dose of la200 yesterday. Not sure if that counts. Cause I am running out of ideas and panicking. Haha

It's stressful cause she goes from alerts awake and fine to this sickly look. So I have no clue half the time if she is coming or going so to speak

Once she's done with the Corid, dose her with a good poultry multi-vitamin. Corid kills the coccidia by depriving it of the B vitamins needed to survive. Unfortunately, your chickens also need B vitamins, so they suffer, too. I nearly lost a prize pair of porcelain d'uccles to coccidiosis. Corid worked, but both birds crashed. On a "wild hair," I dosed them with a multi-vitamin ... and saw a marked improvement in under an hour. By morning, both were eating again. That was nearly five years ago, and they're still going strong!
Good Luck!

So is the poultry cell I'm giving not a good one? Any eecomatio
Once she's done with the Corid, dose her with a good poultry multi-vitamin. Corid kills the coccidia by depriving it of the B vitamins needed to survive. Unfortunately, your chickens also need B vitamins, so they suffer, too. I nearly lost a prize pair of porcelain d'uccles to coccidiosis. Corid worked, but both birds crashed. On a "wild hair," I dosed them with a multi-vitamin ... and saw a marked improvement in under an hour. By morning, both were eating again. That was nearly five years ago, and they're still going strong!
Good Luck!

Good Luck!
Is the poultry cell I am giving not a good one? Any recommendations?

Back
Top Bottom