Hen acting lethargic

Loloschickens

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2021
My silky hen just started laying eggs a month ago. But this past week she’s been laying around a lot, she’s still excited for treats and drinking fine, could this be because she’s laying?

Do you offer treats daily?
What exactly does this bird's diet consist of on a regular basis?

Yes, she layed yesterday. They get occasionally some kale or mealworms. She eats mostly feed. She is laying mostly in nesting area so maybe that is an indicator?

989D3D6A-B6AA-4C20-90AD-FB7B716DEE82.jpeg

She’s been like this pretty much all day. I’ve moved her a couple times to get water and she is drinking. I added electrolytes. Could this be her just waiting to lay again?

Possibly broody or thinking about it. Is she showing any other changes in behavior? Puffing up, flattening if you try to touch her, hissing, making a tik-tik-tik sound? What happens if you remove her from the nest box?

If I remove her she eats and drinks and then wanders back to the nesting box. I think you are right! What to do now??

You need to decide if you want to hatch/give her chicks or not. If the answer is no, best to break her for her own health and flock dynamics.

Broody jail: Put her in an isolation cage with some food and water, in sight of the others (in the coop if it's not too hot or in/near the run is ideal). A wire cage elevated to air flow under her would be the best option, however I've used everything from a brooder to a dog exercise pen.

Keep her in the cage around the clock for about 2 days. At that time, if she's shows fewer signs of broodiness (puffing up, flattening down and growling, tik tik tik noise) you can let her out to test her. If she runs back to the nest at any point (usually they don't do it immediately, but maybe after 15 minutes, maybe an hour) then she's not yet sufficiently broken and needs to go back to the cage for another 24 hours. Then let her out and test her again. Repeat until she's no longer going to the nest box.

IF the isolation cage is not safe for overnight stay (i.e. sits outside the run, run not predator proof) then put her on the roost at night, and retrieve her from the nest box the next morning and put her back in the cage. It may take a little longer this way but better than letting a predator get to her.

Back
Top Bottom