Hen acting strange

Fredf

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 8, 2017
One of my hens is molting but also showing a strange behavior of squatting then walking backwards! I have a video but can’t find a place to attach it.

The video may help.Molting is a time of stress, and it can be hard on them and be a time when we may see an illness or deficiency. The walking backward is sometimes neurological and can be associated with wry neck. Vitamin E 400 IU, along with 1/2 tablet of human vitamin B complex given orally or in a little food can be a good treatment.

One of my hens is molting but also showing a strange behavior of squatting then walking backwards! I have a video but can’t find a place to attach it.
Hopefully you can upload the video to YouTube and provide a link.

In the meantime, I would offer vitamins as suggested.
Sometimes a molting bird is a bit prickly and they can have some strange looking maneuvers, she may simply have a pin feather that is pricking her and she's backing up to avoid it, but backing up is also a symptom of Wry Neck as well.

The video may help.Molting is a time of stress, and it can be hard on them and be a time when we may see an illness or deficiency. The walking backward is sometimes neurological and can be associated with wry neck. Vitamin E 400 IU, along with 1/2 tablet of human vitamin B complex given orally or in a little food can be a good treatment.

Back
Top Bottom