Hen always has an empty crop

Wolfmoonct

In the Brooder
Dec 18, 2015
The last 4 days or so, I have been watching one of my hens. I believe she could be a Brahma.. she's white and black and looks like the one on the breed page, but she was an "extra" from an order my wife placed somewhere..

But every time I check on her, her crop is empty, and when I feel her, it doesn't feel like she has much breast meat left. She still walks around and from what I can tell drinks, but even if I throw some scratch down she picks at one or two pieces then just looks at me and kinda just walks around.

I'm getting very worried she is getting too thin. I have her about 4 drops of Poly Visol without iron today, just as a supplement. She doesn't feel like she is egg bound. I have seen her sitting in a nest box, but when I check later, there is not an egg in the box.

I do have an extra coop after having built a new coop that I could keep her in. I was thinking of putting water and some mushed food in it, and monitoring if she eats any of it at all.

What else can I do to try and get her to eat?

Have you seen the others keeping her from food? Where does she rank in the pecking order? I would catch her every day, and give her some cooked chopped egg, and some tuna or wet feed. You can always place her in a crate just to eat, and then let her out. If she eats then, then you know that she wants to eat. The vitamins are a good thought, and a probiotic or some plain yogurt or buttermilk mixed into her food may help. Worms, her age, intestinal infections such as cocci or enteritis, crop blockage, or internal laying can all have something to do with no appetite. If you have a vet that could see her, or at least do a fecal float, it might be worth the money.

The whole flock got some Big Ole Bird probiotics last week in their water. I have the hen in the small coop and what I watched her eat was the shavings on the floor. This is her dropping. Not sure why it has bubbles in it.

Her droppings have a lot of green bile from not eating, and a lot of uric acid. I would give her something in case of worms, such as Valbazen or SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or horse paste. Will she eat any chopped scrambled egg or some watery feed?

Unfortunately when the wife and I came home last night we found her dead. Thanks for everyone's help.

If you would like to find out what she died from, you can refrigerate her body in a plastic garbage bag, and take or send it to your state vet for a necropsy. Some states don't charge (California, NH, that I know of) while others charge a fee. If she was 2-3 years old, she may have been laying internally which is eventually fatal. Sorry for your loss. Here is a link for the state vets: http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

Her droppings have a lot of green bile from not eating, and a lot of uric acid. I would give her something in case of worms, such as Valbazen or SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or horse paste. Will she eat any chopped scrambled egg or some watery feed?

When they get the green runny stool, there done. Cocci more than likely. Especially when they lose weight.

Antibiotics do not work and will not work.

Prevent Cocci by using Corid or Sulfadimethoxine every few months for 5 days in drinking water. 2 TSPNS for gallon

Some Birds build up better immune system than others

When they get the green runny stool, there done. Cocci more than likely. Especially when they lose weight.

Antibiotics do not work and will not work. 

Prevent Cocci by using Corid or Sulfadimethoxine every few months for 5 days in drinking water. 2 TSPNS for gallon

Some Birds build up better immune system than others

Welcome to BYC!

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom