hen attacked by dogs - need input on whether she can pull through

BTinks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 22, 2013
I didn't count right when I put my hens in their coop tonight and so when I let my dogs out there was a hen sitting outside the coop. I didn't see her until two of my dogs had her. They had her pinned to the ground and there were feathers everywhere so I thought for sure she was a goner. I got them inside and went back to her thinking I would have to put her out of her misery. However, there are no marks on her. Both my dogs have VERY soft mouths, and have never actually killed anything before, so it looks like they just pulled out all her tail feathers and scared her half to death. What I'm worried about though is when I picked her up she pushed out a shell less egg... white and yolk, no trace of shell. Is that normal when a hen experiences trauma or should I be concerned about internal injuries? I don't want to cull a hen who isn't injured, but I also don't want her to suffer.

Bring her to a warm, quiet, safe environment for the night. A shell-less egg is a perfectly natural response to stress, so don't panic. Clean her up as much as you can, but don't stress her out any more than necessary. Just let her rest and recover for the night.

Let us know how she is in the morning.

Thanks so much! She's doing much better today. One eye is a bit swollen but she's walking around on her own and looks like she'll make a full recovery. :)

Back
Top Bottom