Hen attacked by eagle, i scared it away but she’s injured. HELP PLEASE

we just bought broad spectrum injectable because it was all they had. should we use that?
Yes, but research the dosage for a chicken and look into if it's a SubQ or Intramuscular. If it's Intramuscular inject into the breast muscle or thigh. Make sure you haven't put the needle in a vein. If it's too intimidating you can ask the vet to do it, but I've only ever used internal antibiotics for respiratory infections. I've never needed them for wounds.

If the vet recommends euthanization, please don't do so unless she has obviously given up. Vets sometimes aren't accustomed to the pain tolerance or healing power of a chicken. They can imagine the same wounds on a cat or dog and assume there isn't any hope. If she's still eating, drinking, and walking she will more than likely live.
okay, i was thinking the same thing. what if there’s an internal injury we don’t know about that will kill her?

Last edited:
I hope the trip to the vet goes well. Everyone is right the chickens seem to be pretty resilient and i am in awe of how mine dealt with my doing some red neck surgery on its stump of a wing. I had people yelling at me to euthanize it while its running around playing hopping around and enjoying its self. I was like that bird doesn't look like it wants to die yet. lol. Shes healing well though and with all her friends again.

okay, i was thinking the same thing. what if there’s an internal injury we don’t know about?
I've had some of those too and there's really nothing you can do. If she's chipper she most likely doesn't have a serious one, and will fix it herself. I had a chick that was stepped on by her mother (a 16 lb lady with big dinosaur feet) the poor thing make a squishy squeak and looked dazed, but I brought him inside and he was walking the next day but with a limp. He's a full grown boy now and you would never know anything happened. If the vet wants to do an Xray that won't be worth it, if it's internal you can't really treat it and she will either live or won't.

I hope the trip to the vet goes well. Everyone is right the chickens seem to be pretty resilient and i am in awe of how mine dealt with my doing some red neck surgery on its stump of a wing. I had people yelling at me to euthanize it while its running around playing hopping around and enjoying its self. I was like that bird doesn't look like it wants to die yet. lol. Shes healing well though and with all her friends again.
aw. it is incredible how they survive. thanks

I've had some of those too and there's really nothing you can do. If she's chipper she most likely doesn't have a serious one, and will fix it herself. I had a chick that was stepped on by her mother (a 16 lb lady with big dinosaur feet) the poor thing make a squishy squeak and looked dazed, but I brought him inside and he was walking the next day but with a limp. He's a full grown boy now and you would never know anything happened. If the vet wants to do an Xray that won't be worth it, if it's internal you can't really treat it and she will either live or won't.
alright. that’s kinda what i thought. she seems plenty chipper and she talks to us. her beak looks bent or broken a little as i mentioned before. just the upper part. she tried to eat and couldn’t so i fed her an egg. at this point the vet appointment is less than twelve hours away so i might not put her with her friends today plus it’s almost sunset when we’d have to put her back.

alright. that’s kinda what i thought. she seems plenty chipper and she talks to us. her beak looks bent or broken a little as i mentioned before. just the upper part. she tried to eat and couldn’t so i fed her an egg. at this point the vet appointment is less than twelve hours away so i might not put her with her friends today plus it’s almost sunset when we’d have to put her back.
when i had mine separated the day she lost her wing she screamed and cried so much kept escaping her brooder to come get me, i had to wrap her up in a towel and sleep with her lol. had to get her back with her friends asap lol.

Back
Top Bottom