Hen attacked by raccoon 12 days ago. Still not eating or drinking.

cs1979

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 12, 2011
Hello, I'm hoping some of you can help me decide what to do with a hen that is still not eating or drinking on her own several days after she suffered an attack from a raccoon. She is able to walk and has plenty of strength to fight me when I force-feed her! Unfortunately I can't seem to interest her in eating or drinking. I leave her with water and food, and can see that it is untouched. While I like her and would like her to survive, it's at the point where I need to make a decision.
I nursed her immediately after the attack (raccooon broke into coop at night, I caught him in the act). She stayed in the house with us for 6 days. She seemed to be improving so I let her out. She disappeared for several days and I thought she was a goner. She came back yesterday and is very thin and still not eating or drinking.

I filled out the questions below from the sticky note:

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
I think she is an Ameracauna. I am unsure of exact age, but I estimate between 1 and 2 yrs old. She was of an average weight previously, now emaciated.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She shows no interest whatsoever in food or water. I force fed her four times daily for 6 days. She still showed no interest but was very lively. I allowed her outside and she went missing for several days. Now she's back and is very thin. Still not eating or drinking on her own.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Since a raccoon attacked her almost 2 wks ago.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No, but there were two others that were attacked. One died instantly (I didn't get there in time) and the other had a neck injury. Treated her and she is healed and with the rest of the flock.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Her wounds are healing nicely. Initial injuries: superficial face wounds around eyes, comb, beak. One gash on back of neck. Her eyes were glued shut for the first three days, but are now open and she is aware. One upper eyelid is a bit wonky, you can tell it was scarred. Treated with antibiotics and later on applied coppertox (not to eyes!). All are looking good and healed.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Raccoon attack. I scared him off in the process.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
I gave her electrolytes mixed in milk and water for the first couple days. Moved on to yogurt mixed with small amount of tinned catfood (I was improvising!). Now I am giving her liquidy cream of wheat.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
At first it was clear, mucousy with black bits in it. Changed to whitish, yellowish before she took off. Now that she is back it was at first greeny-yellow and watery. Most recent was almost normal (after feeding her for 1.5 days now)

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Injectable penicillin for first 6 days and kept in our house. Electrolytes mixed in food. Wounds treated as described above.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Not taking her to a vet. I'm doing my best for her because she's so full of P&V (tries to get away from me and squawks loudly!) but realistically, she only cost me $5.....

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Sorry, can't find camera. Don't expect it would be that helpful.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Not relevant. Right now she's hanging in a box in our bathtub if it matters.

From her viewpoint, even returning home would be part of the shock. I don't think she's had enough time to recover. That's one heck of a shock for a chicken. She must have found a little to eat/drink on her own, to have survived that long. You've probably tried some more attractive foods like a scrambled egg; you may need to continue that for a few more days. A little sugar water or Gatorade in the water might perk her up a bit, too.

I see your point, but on the other hand, the other hen that was attacked has been back with the flock for ten days and none of them seem to remember the incident. No issues with them going back in the coop.

Does she peck at yogurt, corn, greens, scrambled egg? Maybe once she gets started she'll start to bounce back. I like the Gatorade idea. Dehydration can really take it's toll.

I wish she did. No, it doesn't matter what I put in front of her. If I dip her beak in liquid she will drink, but that's it.
I have to work for the next three days (I am away from the house for 14 hrs each day) so I'm leaning toward putting her out of her misery tonight
sad.png

This is your decision only. sounds like something else might be going on besides just the attack. maybe some internal injuries that you can't see. sounds like she's given up. Sorry you have to make the decision but sometimes you just have no other choice.. and this just doesn't seem like the appropriate time but
welcome-byc.gif

She may still be in pain or have bit of infection. Have you give her any antibiotics. If you don't have any a chicken can take keflex or amoxicillin that you may have in cabinet leftover from yourself. I would try that. I hate putting down animal that can run around. What would it hurt to leave her penned by self with food and water while you are gone at work and force feed her when you get home. Just a thought

Back
Top Bottom