Hen attacked days ago, can't eat or drink

trcarlton

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 25, 2010
Puyallup, WA
I'd like to save her if possible; she's young, a good momma. I just saw her this morning. My chickens all free range, and they've been going broody like crazy - most use the nest boxes, but several disappear into the blackberry forest or elsewhere and reappear with chicks in tow.

She just reappeared this morning, with 3 chicks, and has injuries to the back and side of her head. Otherwise she seems ok. The surface injuries seem to be healing ok, it's the area under her beak at her throat, by her wattle, that is swollen and discolored. Her beak is slightly open, and she can't seem to close it all the way. She's walking around, alert, interested in food and water, just can't make it happen.

I caught her and her 3 chicks, put them in a large plastic dog crate in the shed, with a bowl of feed mix, and a quail dish tower for water (less mess in the tray with the chicks), with a capful of Apple Cider Vinegar in it.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
California White hen, about 1 year old, don't have exact weight, but she's thin.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She's unable to eat or drink. Beak is slightly open, seems unable to close it due to injuries resulting in swelling and discoloration around the back of her jaw and top of her throat.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Just found her this morning - mine all free range, and she just returned with 3 chicks.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Beak doesn't seem broken, puncture wounds around the back and side of her head.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Looks like a days-old predator attack.
37397746_10209014579161006_834210342555877376_n.jpg

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
I give fresh clean water daily in the goat water trough (half barrel); it has a spigot that is on constant slow drip into the water bowl for the chickens. Feed is a mix of X-Cel's layer pellet, turkey crumble, scratch grains.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
She's in isolation now; I will monitor when she provides a sample.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Isolation in the dog crate, bowl of food at least for her chicks, fresh water with a capful of ACV in it. I inspected her body and found no other injuries.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Vet is not an option; too expensive. I'd like to treat her at home, by myself, and try to save her.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Large plastic dog crate, douglas fir shavings

I would replace the mixture of feed and scratch with only chick starter grower or all flock raiser feed. There is too much calcium in the layer feed, and scratch has too little protein and other nutrition for chicks.

I would mix up some watery chicken feed to see if the broody can take that better. Look inside her beak with a flashlight for anything unusual. If her beak in injured and she cannot start eating, you may want to tube feed her twice a day, just so she has nutrition. Tube feeding, once you learn how, takes about 3 minutes to put the tube in, syringe the wet feed and water, and take it out. If she cannot get out to roam and teach her chicks where to find food and water, you may have to place the chicks in a brooder and care for them. Here is a link on tube feeding:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-guide-pictures-under-construction.1064392/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/updated-go-team-tube-feeding.805728/

I'd like to save her if possible; she's young, a good momma. I just saw her this morning. My chickens all free range, and they've been going broody like crazy - most use the nest boxes, but several disappear into the blackberry forest or elsewhere and reappear with chicks in tow.

She just reappeared this morning, with 3 chicks, and has injuries to the back and side of her head. Otherwise she seems ok. The surface injuries seem to be healing ok, it's the area under her beak at her throat, by her wattle, that is swollen and discolored. Her beak is slightly open, and she can't seem to close it all the way. She's walking around, alert, interested in food and water, just can't make it happen.

I caught her and her 3 chicks, put them in a large plastic dog crate in the shed, with a bowl of feed mix, and a quail dish tower for water (less mess in the tray with the chicks), with a capful of Apple Cider Vinegar in it.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
California White hen, about 1 year old, don't have exact weight, but she's thin.
She's unable to eat or drink. Beak is slightly open, seems unable to close it due to injuries resulting in swelling and discoloration around the back of her jaw and top of her throat.
Just found her this morning - mine all free range, and she just returned with 3 chicks.
No.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Looks like a days-old predator attack.View attachment 1474080
I give fresh clean water daily in the goat water trough (half barrel); it has a spigot that is on constant slow drip into the water bowl for the chickens. Feed is a mix of X-Cel's layer pellet, turkey crumble, scratch grains.
Isolation in the dog crate, bowl of food at least for her chicks, fresh water with a capful of ACV in it. I inspected her body and found no other injuries.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Vet is not an option; too expensive. I'd like to treat her at home, by myself, and try to save her.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

No.
Looks like a days-old predator attack.View attachment 1474080

I'm going to go get a better look, take pics and post them here before I go poking her. It's been a lot of years since I worked at a vet clinic, so I want a clear plan before I do anything else ;)

Ok, she's pretty calm, thankfully, so I got some good pics. She has a wound underneath that I didn't see before (pic isn't great; too much glare on my screen, and the angle is bad). I'm thinking if I can soak it a little, maybe add some VetRx to the soak to soften it and open it up, let it drain out, flush it with a gentle cleansing solution (which should be what?), and let it dry, that it may heal up. Thoughts?
37319894_10209015084653643_2126413152626147328_n.jpg
37412319_10209015084333635_8741698532714479616_n.jpg
37421682_10209015084413637_8706659437894434816_n.jpg
37425869_10209015085013652_3360989544672395264_n.jpg
37539318_10209015084533640_1476238035535265792_n.jpg
37592949_10209015084693644_6059424051145736192_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom