HEN ATTACKED

CluckYeah8908

Songster
6 Years
Jun 18, 2016
Oklahoma
I was cleaning out the coop yesterday and I found one of my hens hurt! She’s acting completely normal but obviously something took a chunk out of her. We lock them up every night so my only guess is the neighbors dog got into our yard. We’ve seen the dog in our yard before but it didn’t seem interested in the chickens. Hypothetically you can pull the pink skin back and see all the way in her. The only way I know this is because when you hold her the skin opens up. It’s like a pocket. I have her inside in a crate. I cleaned her up and put hydrogen peroxide on it. I’ve delt with dog attacks in the past but this is the worse one I’ve seen. The wound is right underneath her wing. What else can I do to help? :(

Attachments

• 0263B04F-C0C8-4905-8A59-D50F44382601.jpeg
    0263B04F-C0C8-4905-8A59-D50F44382601.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 12
Ooh. Sorry to hear that happened. I would not continue using the hydrogen peroxide, but some say you can use it diluted. Do you have any neosporin or vetricyn?
Also, you will need to figure out how the dog or whatever it was got in to a locked up area.
Hope she heals well!

Ooh. Sorry to hear that happened. I would not continue using the hydrogen peroxide, but some say you can use it diluted. Do you have any neosporin or vetricyn?
Also, you will need to figure out how the dog or whatever it was got in to a locked up area.
Hope she heals well!

Their dog can climb the fence and they never watch it. It gets into everyone’s yard. Talking to them does no good either.

Are they
Their dog can climb the fence and they never watch it. It gets into everyone’s yard. Talking to them does no good either.
Are they locked in a coop when you cannot watch them? There are several ways to take care of a stray dog. One way would be to call animal control.

Are they

Are they locked in a coop when you cannot watch them? There are several ways to take care of a stray dog. One way would be to call animal control.
They roam the back yard during the day and at night they’re clocked up in the coop. They just moved in about a year ago so we never had a problem. I can’t prove their dog did it, but no one else around me has a dog.

Oh. I see. So, then the dog must have gotten to them when they were roaming around and not locked up? I guess I am a bit confused.
Could she have gashed herself on something in the coop?

The next time you do see the dog climbing the femce, that would be a good time to call animal control if the neighbors refuse to keep their dog at home.

When mine have been attacked I always use betadine and antibiotic ointment. My rooster grew his feathers back over his wound in about a month. I also gave him electolyte water and extra protein such as mealworms and boiled eggs since his body was healing . That has always helped mine have a great recovery and heal within no time. Hope she heals! About the stray dog there's many ways to approach it depending on what actions you are willing to take. I have dealt with the careless neighbors before as well as animal control that will come out and talk to the neighbors and simply drive off. I've had to handle the situation myself and let's just say if your like me or many other chicken lovers you do what you have to to keep your flock safe. Losing chickens loses money as well as your pet (if they are your pet like mine are). If the dog did attack your chicken it will be back. The dogs I've dealt with always came back once they tasted flesh or blood from the chicken so keep an eye on them. Bottom line that dog needs to go.

T
When mine have been attacked I always use betadine and antibiotic ointment. My rooster grew his feathers back over his wound in about a month. I also gave him electolyte water and extra protein such as mealworms and boiled eggs since his body was healing . That has always helped mine have a great recovery and heal within no time. Hope she heals! About the stray dog there's many ways to approach it depending on what actions you are willing to take. I have dealt with the careless neighbors before as well as animal control that will come out and talk to the neighbors and simply drive off. I've had to handle the situation myself and let's just say if your like me or many other chicken lovers you do what you have to to keep your flock safe. Losing chickens loses money as well as your pet (if they are your pet like mine are). If the dog did attack your chicken it will be back. The dogs I've dealt with always came back once they tasted flesh or blood from the chicken so keep an eye on them. Bottom line that dog needs to go.

They actually have 2 dogs. I’ve only seen the Chocolate lab in our yard. They also have a Pit. Our animal control is the police department in my city and I’ve called them out before and they never came. It was for a different reason though. Our other neighbors abandoned a rooster and duck And they were in the snow and freezing. After no help from the police we took them in and we’ve had them for over 2 years now.

Oh. I see. So, then the dog must have gotten to them when they were roaming around and not locked up? I guess I am a bit confused.
Could she have gashed herself on something in the coop?
Yeah it would’ve had to happen during the day. I don’t think there is anything in the coop that could’ve done it. There’s a bit of chicken wire but I don’t think it would’ve caused that

Back
Top Bottom