Olive_Egger

Chirping
May 27, 2021
Our chicken was attacked by a hawk, we thought she was fine but a couple hours later discovered a bad gash. I believe what was visible was the “brisket” of chicken in meat terms.
We treated her by cleaning the wound and stitching her up. She is sleeping inside in a dog crate. It is covered and in a quiet, relatively dark room. We provided her with a perch and a ground level “perch” but she has simply been standing there. Not a blink of sleep from what we’ve seen.
She’s clearly traumatized, lonely, scared, and seems a bit pisses at us. I’m worried about her lack of sleep as we’ve left her for hours and just as with any animal, sleep behavior shouldn’t be ignored.
How can I help? I’ve been playing her classical music and after a while I joined her in case she was lonely. I’ve just been sitting with her because I think she trusts me.

Our chicken was attacked by a hawk, we thought she was fine but a couple hours later discovered a bad gash. I believe what was visible was the “brisket” of chicken in meat terms.
We treated her by cleaning the wound and stitching her up. She is sleeping inside in a dog crate. It is covered and in a quiet, relatively dark room. We provided her with a perch and a ground level “perch” but she has simply been standing there. Not a blink of sleep from what we’ve seen.
She’s clearly traumatized, lonely, scared, and seems a bit pisses at us. I’m worried about her lack of sleep as we’ve left her for hours and just as with any animal, sleep behavior shouldn’t be ignored.
How can I help? I’ve been playing her classical music and after a while I joined her in case she was lonely. I’ve just been sitting with her because I think she trusts me.
Please post photos of the wounds. If you have photos of the wounds before stitching, that would be good too.

How long ago did this happen?

She may very well be in shock. Get some sugar water or electrolytes into her. Once she's hydrated and comes out shock, offer some wet feed or bits of scrambled egg.

What is a brisket on a chicken? Often it's better to leave a wound open instead of stitching, it will heal and close on its own if flushed well and ointment kept on it.

Stitching can seal in bacteria and infection sets in. Since she is stitched, I would recommend that you get her started on antibiotics. Amoxicillin is a good choice if you can find them. If you have something on hand, let us know what you have.

Not sure about the music, that may be what's pissing her off 🤣

She’s clearly traumatized, lonely, scared, and seems a bit pisses at us.........I’ve been playing her classical music

Please post photos of the wounds. If you have photos of the wounds before stitching, that would be good too.

How long ago did this happen?

She may very well be in shock. Get some sugar water or electrolytes into her. Once she's hydrated and comes out shock, offer some wet feed or bits of scrambled egg.

What is a brisket on a chicken? Often it's better to leave a wound open instead of stitching, it will heal and close on its own if flushed well and ointment kept on it.

Stitching can seal in bacteria and infection sets in. Since she is stitched, I would recommend that you get her started on antibiotics. Amoxicillin is a good choice if you can find them. If you have something on hand, let us know what you have.

Not sure about the music, that may be what's pissing her off 🤣

IMG_8423.jpeg

this was her (after being disinfected, which is why it looks like… that.) the wound was very wide, and we believe it started out ok until she kept tearing it more and more open throughout the day.
haven’t been able to get a picture of the wound yet post stitching.

Back
Top Bottom