Hen badly injured

I too, had a hen scalped from her rooster that was roughly overeager. It was bad. Bad bad. Wayyyyyyy worse than this. Today she is perfectly fine. Not housed with any roosters because the comb and feathers on the top of her head are completely gone. And I’m afraid a roo in an amorous mood would have nothing to grab other than her scar tissue- but point being- she was not looking good when this happened. I never thought she would make it. Turns out she’s completely recovered (minus the missing feathers and comb) and is a fat, happy little serama hen - who’s simply a pet (good thing she doesn’t eat much, right?!). Anyway, it was disappointing because she had just won best of breed at an apa show in late fall... where the competition was able and tough. But what matters is that she’s alive. That’s the point here. I hope your bird is okay- especially if she’s your daughters best friend. I think she’ll be okay.
Did anyone answer your egg question? Just Incase, I always give sick or injured birds hard boiled egg to help speed up recovery with extra protein. Plus If they’re not real hungry, they still usually gobble egg down! I hard boil and dice up in small bits with a fork or stick it in the blender. Sometimes I mix it with wet mash (chicken feed). They especially like it if it’s warm. Plain yogurt is good too. Mine don’t like that as much as egg. That’s more for getting the good bacteria in the gut flourishing again I believe. But egg can’t hurt for sure. It can only help. Good luck. And good job caring for her!

I did it :) I had to break the capsule into some water and had her drink it out of my hand.
Also what can I feed her besides mushed up chicken feed?
I read I can give yogurt and egg?
I would try to get her to eat her normal food as much as possible, but you can give some scrambled egg. A little bit of yogurt is fine too - that may entice her.

No more mucous or water coming from her beak - she's pooping too?

I too, had a hen scalped from her rooster that was roughly overeager. It was bad. Bad bad. Wayyyyyyy worse than this. Today she is perfectly fine. Not housed with any roosters because the comb and feathers on the top of her head are completely gone. And I’m afraid a roo in an amorous mood would have nothing to grab other than her scar tissue- but point being- she was not looking good when this happened. I never thought she would make it. Turns out she’s completely recovered (minus the missing feathers and comb) and is a fat, happy little serama hen - who’s simply a pet (good thing she doesn’t eat much, right?!). Anyway, it was disappointing because she had just won best of breed at an apa show in late fall... where the competition was able and tough. But what matters is that she’s alive. That’s the point here. I hope your bird is okay- especially if she’s your daughters best friend. I think she’ll be okay.
Did anyone answer your egg question? Just Incase, I always give sick or injured birds hard boiled egg to help speed up recovery with extra protein. Plus If they’re not real hungry, they still usually gobble egg down! I hard boil and dice up in small bits with a fork or stick it in the blender. Sometimes I mix it with wet mash (chicken feed). They especially like it if it’s warm. Plain yogurt is good too. Mine don’t like that as much as egg. That’s more for getting the good bacteria in the gut flourishing again I believe. But egg can’t hurt for sure. It can only help. Good luck. And good job caring for her!

Noelle,
Thank you for your kind words.
And thank you for answering the egg question, neither of our hens have laid any lately because they are stressed out and of coarse this hen is injured. But I have store bought eggs and I will give some to her tomorrow.
Oh here’s a picture of my daughter feeding to her injured best friend.
278E8FBE-2DC8-4893-8912-D4D718882A38.jpeg

I would try to get her to eat her normal food as much as possible, but you can give some scrambled egg. A little bit of yogurt is fine too - that may entice her.

No more mucous or water coming from her beak - she's pooping too?

No more mucus.
And yes she’s pooped twice today.
Yesterday she pooped a big one.
I’m still worried that she may have respiratory issues from the attack.

No none of that.
Maybe I’m just beyond worried.
She “peeped” and let out a weak cackle today.

It's good that she doesn't have any respiratory symptoms right now!
Even talking though weak is hopeful.

She will eat and drink on her own for you a little if you prompt her?
Chickens can be recover from a lot of things - you and your daughter are doing all you can for her, so I hope it goes well.

Where can I find antibiotics for hens?
The vet said the animal hospital that can help me with her is an hour away.
Don't know if this will help, but the e-vet prescribed augmentin for my chickens when I had a similar incident, and then the chicken vet prescribed bactrim. I know you can order antibiotics for fish off of Chewy (they're the same as human antibiotics). Not sure if chicken antibiotics are easily available without prescription. If you do treat them, you can't eat the eggs for a month or so after you finish, as the eggs will have antibiotics in them. Vet also had us do a dilute betadine rinse daily along with silvadene (anti-infective) cream. You could no doubt get betadine at the drug store...they had us dilute with distilled water until it was tea colored. No bandages, open to air. Don't know about the exposed neck. Rotten smell does sound like infection to me as well. Eventually the dead tissue dried up and fell off. It was super gross but when it did they had nice, clean red wound beds underneath and everything healed quickly after that.

Again, don't know if this helps but just passing on what our chicken vet had us do...and my girls are healing beautifully.

Back
Top Bottom