Hen badly injured

Pics
Wonderful! I'm glad you were able to get most of the pus out of her eye! You may have to work on it for several more days too (getting more pus out) just keep flushing, remove and apply your ointment.

Did you overlay the skin that was loose - is that what the problem is? Can you get some more photos?
@Eggcessive has experience with debriding wounds, she may want to chime back in. The stinky skin does need to be cleaned. I don't know of a way that would be not painful.

There’s no skin to cover the wound. It’s all meat now.

Glad that you are getting the eye cleaned out. Can you post a current picture of the neck wound? If it looks soupy or has pus, or still smells bad, I would get some chlorhexidene (Hibiclens) and mix with water to clean the wound twice a day. If you have Betadine, that would be okay to use a couple of times, then go back to thewound spray. Then apply the antibiotic ointment. Are you using an antibiotic? What is it?

It may be hard to believe that the neck will heal and skin will close, but we have had a lot of threads here that document that with pictures.

Glad that you are getting the eye cleaned out. Can you post a current picture of the neck wound? If it looks soupy or has pus, or still smells bad, I would get some chlorhexidene (Hibiclens) and mix with water to clean the wound twice a day. If you have Betadine, that would be okay to use a couple of times, then go back to thewound spray. Then apply the antibiotic ointment. Are you using an antibiotic? What is it?

It may be hard to believe that the neck will heal and skin will close, but we have had a lot of threads here that document that with pictures.

Hi,
It was really late when I got home from work tonight, my daughter was still awake waiting for me to clean her hen so we cleaned her up and lifted up her skin to put ointment in under the skin, gave her amoxicillin and fed her some water and put her to bed.
Oh the ointment we have is the equat brand triple antibiotic ointment. The spray we clean her with is the antimicrobial poultry spray. If needed I will get the chlorhexidene when I get paid next week.
I forgot to take a picture I will first thing when I clean her in the morning. I notice her neck smells bad in certain areas when we clean her. I read I can make my own saline solution to clean her but I’m afraid it’ll hurt her since she has a raw neck.
She’s gotten skinnier as well ☹️ She was doing well eating yesterday. But today barely ate anything that my daughter tried to give her (mash, egg, yogurt) If she doesn’t eat all day tomorrow, will I end up having to force feed her? And if so, how do I do it?

Hi,
It was really late when I got home from work tonight, my daughter was still awake waiting for me to clean her hen so we cleaned her up and lifted up her skin to put ointment in under the skin, gave her amoxicillin and fed her some water and put her to bed.
Oh the ointment we have is the equat brand triple antibiotic ointment. The spray we clean her with is the antimicrobial poultry spray. If needed I will get the chlorhexidene when I get paid next week.
I forgot to take a picture I will first thing when I clean her in the morning. I notice her neck smells bad in certain areas when we clean her. I read I can make my own saline solution to clean her but I’m afraid it’ll hurt her since she has a raw neck.
She’s gotten skinnier as well ☹ She was doing well eating yesterday. But today barely ate anything that my daughter tried to give her (mash, egg, yogurt) If she doesn’t eat all day tomorrow, will I end up having to force feed her? And if so, how do I do it?
I think I would get some Hibiclens as suggested. Saline is good for cleaning/flushing wounds that are not infected, but in this case you need something better.

Try to encourage her to eat and see how it goes. She definitely needs to stay hydrated.
If you find you do need to tube feed her, here's a good video that shows you how

When I have had a hen who would not eat because she was lame for a month, I mixed a small cereal bowl with chick feed and a lot of water, a bit of scrambled egg, and canned cat food or ground meat or tuna. She would eat if I sprinkled a few chick crumbles on every couple of minutes. I did this twice a day, and she would eat until full in about 5 minutes. I crushed or grated part of a vitamin B complex tablet which I think helped her appetite. It sounds like you are a very dedicated mom.

I think I would get some Hibiclens as suggested. Saline is good for cleaning/flushing wounds that are not infected, but in this case you need something better.

Try to encourage her to eat and see how it goes. She definitely needs to stay hydrated.
If you find you do need to tube feed her, here's a good video that shows you how

I can get hibiclens next week. When I get paid ☹️ Until than is there any homemade solution I can make for her?

When I have had a hen who would not eat because she was lame for a month, I mixed a small cereal bowl with chick feed and a lot of water, a bit of scrambled egg, and canned cat food or ground meat or tuna. She would eat if I sprinkled a few chick crumbles on every couple of minutes. I did this twice a day, and she would eat until full in about 5 minutes. I crushed or grated part of a vitamin B complex tablet which I think helped her appetite. It sounds like you are a very dedicated mom.

Did you use a regular vitamin b like we would use for your hen?
I’m having problems uploading a picture

Yes, human B complex or Super B complex is fine to use. We used to use solid dial soap for cleaning burns years ago in the burn unit at the hospital because it was antibacterial. The liquid kind is probably fine. Just rinse it well with water. A kitchen sprayer can work well used once without too much force. You just don’t need to sandblast, or damage the healthy skin, but they are helpful with wounds. Hibiclens or chlorhexidene is pretty inexpensive at WalMart in the first aid aisle—about $6 for a small bottle to use with water, when you can get it. It is good for basic first aid care for humans and animals.

I can get hibiclens next week. When I get paid ☹ Until than is there any homemade solution I can make for her?
Did you use a regular vitamin b like we would use for your hen?
I’m having problems uploading a picture
I try to watch my budget too.
If you have a Dollar tree - get a plain antibacterial soap, they probably have liquid soap, but they do carry bars of Dial Gold as well. That would be good for making a solution to flush the wounds. Also look in the vitamin section for Super B Complex, you can give her 1/2 tablet daily. DT also has triple antibiotic ointment if you find you need more of that. I usually try to keep that on hand as well.

Back
Top Bottom