Hen Balance Issue/Not Standing

jotik

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2023
Wisconsin
Hello all, I've got a 22 week old hen that hasn't started laying yet (Barred Rock) and just yesterday started acting really strange. She was sitting down while eating a cucumber we provided to her with her legs sticking out. Then as she tried to get up, would fall over and I noticed she can't stand at all. I had some stuff going on last night that required me to be away from home, so I left and when I came back, she managed to make it into the coop, just not up on the roosting bars. But definitely wanted to figure her out more this morning.

Well this morning I checked her bottom for a blockage and her vent is completely open. She does have some poop further down in her feathers since she's been laying down constantly. I took a glove with some vaseline and put my pinky in her about an inch or so and didn't feel any egg inside, but there was some more poop and it came out when I took my finger out. I would say usual coloring. White and black goopy, no blood. But when I put her down, she can't stand up and struggles with her legs. I did check for bumblefoot and I don't see anything on her at all. We also noticed one of her pupils is stranger than the other. It's like not dilated as much and further forward. I don't have a picture right now, but will try to take one and post an update.

These 4 hens we have were all vaccinated for Mareks from the hatchery, but I've heard that in rare cases it seems they can possibly still get it? They're completely caged hens, as we live in a subdivision that requires them to be in a coop/run at all times. The 3 other hens are great and showing no signs of anything. They lay an egg every day. The one sick hen does seem to eat decently, especially treats that I had feed her. Water seems to be a different story. She does take it, but since she has such a hard time moving, it limits how much water/food she can get. We currently have her in a dog kennel by herself with the water and food dishes we used to use when they were chicks.

I bought some Hydro Hen and added that to her water thinking some electrolytes and vitamins would help. As long as she drinks it of course. It's been pretty mild weather wise lately. Getting to be fall, so only mid 70s as a high, with yesterday being much cooler and windier. We did have one day on Wednesday, so almost 3 days before she started exhibiting symptoms, where it was upper 90s and with the humidity felt like 110, so we definitely provided a ton of frozen watermelon, cucumbers fresh from the garden, and ice in their water dish a few times during the day. She's lowest on the pecking order, so maybe she just didn't get enough water and is overstressed? Or she's sick with something. This is my first year with chickens, so new to this all of course. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Please post some photos...her, her eye, her poop, how she's sitting/standing.

Thank you.

What are you feeding, including the treats (how much)?

Sounds like she's not getting to food/water very well and if she's not drinking/staying hydrated, then you can try hold the water to her beak to see if she's able to drink on her own, if not, then syringe or tube fluids into her.

Look her over for injury, bruising, cuts, etc.
Look her over for lice/mites.
Check to make sure her crop is emptying.

At her age, it's possible that it's Marek's, the vaccine helps stop the formation of tumors, but does not prevent infection from the virus.

So I have an update. I went to take pictures of the eye of the chicken and now it doesn't seem to be as bad. I also decided to check her crop, since I was reading somewhere about that and didn't think to do that before. It's really hard. Compared to the 3 other hens where it's somewhat full and soft. So I think I'm looking at an impacted crop? From another post it looks like feeding coconut oil and massaging the crop can help with that.

I didn't see any injury anywhere. Lice/mites seem to not be an issue either. As for what I'm feeding, it's pellet food and given treats of mealworms about once a day when I walk out there. I have oyster shell and grit available for them to eat in separate containers, not in their food. I also have a 5 gallon bucket that I have full with water, so it never runs out.

I've attached a picture of her yesterday eating a cucumber and how she's sitting. I'm going to try and see if I can assist with that crop now. I'm hoping that's all it is.

Attachments

• PXL_20230826_203840616.jpg
    PXL_20230826_203840616.jpg
    848.2 KB · Views: 19
That stance says she's not well.

The crop may be a symptom, but it's not the main reason for her acting or looking like that.

What is the pellet feed - is it layer, starter, grower, all flock? How long has she been eating that particular type of feed.

She's 22wks, so not likely laying eggs yet, but I'd be inclined to get some extra calcium into her for 3 days. You can find calcium citrate with D3 at Walmart, just pop the tablet into her beak and let her swallow.
While you're at it, get some B-Complex and Vitamin E give her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily.

It's extremely important to get her hydrated. Can she reach the water in the bucket? If not, then you're going to have to hand feed/water her.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

The crop may be a symptom, but it's not the main reason for her acting or looking like that.

What is the pellet feed - is it layer, starter, grower, all flock? How long has she been eating that particular type of feed.

She's 22wks, so not likely laying eggs yet, but I'd be inclined to get some extra calcium into her for 3 days. You can find calcium citrate with D3 at Walmart, just pop the tablet into her beak and let her swallow.
While you're at it, get some B-Complex and Vitamin E give her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily.

It's extremely important to get her hydrated. Can she reach the water in the bucket? If not, then you're going to have to hand feed/water her.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
That post you linked is the one I've been following. So far with a few doses of coconut oil and massaging, we've got the crop to be WAY less hard, but still some stuff in there. I brought her in the coop to lay down tonight hoping that maybe it will work through overnight. I want to check first thing in the morning to see if it's empty or how full it still seems to be.

Feed is Dumor layer pellet: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tractor-supply-dumor-16-layer-pellet-50-lb-3006319-206

They've been eating this feed for about 4 weeks now. We switched them over at around 18 weeks since the other 3 started laying between 16-17 weeks.

As for water, she can reach the water in the bucket, but she can't move that well so she just lays there. We've been going to treat her about every 30-60 minutes this afternoon and giving her syringes of water. Probably 3-4 3.5ml doses, so around 12-14ml at a time. I looked up what they can drink a day, or want to, and it's way more than that. I'm just not sure how much we should be giving her. All that water was with Hydro Hen added to get some extra stuff in her.

And as for food, of course we don't want to feed her anymore while dealing with the crop, but how long can she go without food before it becomes an issue? Before we knew it was a crop issue, I was feeding her some of the old chick crumbles they used to have before the pellets and she ate that and some mealworms, so she still had a bit of an appetite it seemed.

I was also going to start some complex B, before we saw the crop issue, so then we have just been focusing our energy on that. I will stop at Walmart tomorrow and grab the supplies you listed to see if that helps. Hopefully it does. I appreciate your comment.

Quick question, for that Vitamin E, do we just break open the capsule and have her drink the liquid? And as for the calcium citrate, is there a specific dosage of that? Looks like 600 is pretty common, while there is also 1000mg.

Calcium for 3 days, any limit to the b-complex and vitamin E? Or just until she, hopefully, recovers?

When one of my hens gets a crop issue from something else, I let them eat baby bird formula so at least some nutrients can get through while I figure out what’s going on.

He was Kaytee exact. I mix it with water to about pudding consistency and my chickens eat it on their own like a treat.

@jotik it's been a couple of weeks since your last post, can you give us an update?
Hey, so I've been meaning to but wanted to make sure things continued to move in a good direction before I did.

So we were all ready to have to put her down, but decided to wait a few more days just to be sure. We had a huge heat wave and figured that might just get her. However, a week ago she actually stood up. It wasn't much, but she did. And every day since then she's been progressing much more. Eating more food and drinking plenty of water. We were very surprised by her turnaround. Spoke to an aunt who has raised a lot of chickens and they were under the assumption she would pass as well or need to be put down.

We aren't out of the woods by any means, but I setup a larger dog fence thing in the garage so she can move around a lot more vs the small kennel she was in. Figured the more room she had, the better she would get. And so far that seems to be true. She's not perfect, but way better. Hoping another week or two? I'll make sure to update.

The biggest issue is going to be reintroducing her to the other 3, since last time I took her out to let her try and walk, they wanted to attack her. One stood in her wings and started pecking. I split it up pretty quick and that's when I decided the garage would be a good idea for space. She's never been away from the flock, but I'm guessing since they know she's sick and has been separated in a cage, they were going to kill her. So I'm waiting until she's fully healthy and will do it then. I read some posts on how to do it, so hopefully that's prepared me. Even though I'm nervous since I've never done it before. However, we did get another hen from someone, so will introduce them together when the time is right. She's in quarantine right now.

Back
Top Bottom