Hen becoming a rooster!

skullman2009

In the Brooder
May 18, 2022
Hi all, I've just joined because I want to share a bizarre occurance! My hen I've had for several years and has been the best mum out of all my flock, and successfully reared several broods has become a rooster! Her comb and wattles are much bigger, she stands more upright like a male, and even crows on occasion, she is the favourite for my youngest boy to mate with! I even had a vet round convinced she was a rooster! Which I understand because she does look more like a rooster than a hen! Anyone come across this before? Thanks.

Hi all, I've just joined because I want to share a bizarre occurance! My hen I've had for several years and has been the best mum out of all my flock, and successfully reared several broods has become a rooster! Her comb and wattles are much bigger, she stands more upright like a male, and even crows on occasion, she is the favourite for my youngest boy to mate with! I even had a vet round convinced she was a rooster! Which I understand because she does look more like a rooster than a hen! Anyone come across this before? Thanks.
Yes,it's not that uncommon particulary in a hen only flock.
Chickens are wonderfully gender flexible. Tribes need both sexes to fully function and often when there is no male, a female will undertake what would normally be considered a male's duties. Physical changes are less common but are reported by those who study chickens.

Welcome to BYC by the way.

I haven’t seen this personally, but I’ve heard of it. How many other roosters do you have and how big is your flock. It is pretty rare and typically only happens in rooster-less flocks. The dominant or one of the dominant hens takes on the role of rooster. Comb, waddles, and stance can change to resemble a rooster. They can’t fertilize an egg but they become a rooster by all other means. Even growing larger spurs.

Back
Top Bottom