Hen being bullied

Eddievedder1

Hatching
Jul 21, 2017
need help with my girls !!! Raised 5 hens from babies. Receione went broody so i removed her from coop as I've read on your forums and others. When i reintroduced her to the flock about 4 days later they all instantly attacked her. And today they drew blood so I have her out again. At a loss any help would be much appreciated.

Is the whole flock attacking her or is it just one hen?

Are you letting the mom hatch babies if not you are gonna have to breck her from being broody.

Is your flock getting enough protein/what food do they eat?

What breeds does your flock have?

If its one hen separate that hen and in a couple days (or more depending on how high dshe is in the pecking order) put her back in and she will be at the bottom of the totem poll so she will not bother the broody.

If its the whole flock then you are going to have to reintroduce her like you would young pullets or cockrels!s.look up some threads there is a ton.

need help with my girls !!! Raised 5 hens from babies. Receione went broody so i removed her from coop as I've read on your forums and others. When i reintroduced her to the flock about 4 days later they all instantly attacked her. And today they drew blood so I have her out again. At a loss any help would be much appreciated.
What breed? I have had that to happen mainly with old English game, but Make sure she is over the broody deal before trying to put her back with the flock. What I did was remove all the hens from this run---leaving the rooster and the x-broody hen in the main pen. Then in a couple days I would put one of the least aggressive hens back in with them----the next day I would put another back, next day another, etc. Has worked for me.

Hi there!
Welcome to BYC.
This video should help you find your way around the site better, enjoy!

I'm assuming you removed her to break the broodiness, truth is when possible it should be done in an area in direct sight of the other hens. You probably need to re introduce them slowly putting her in a safe area inside our just out side the run with her own food and water, of course after she is healed. Believe me this is one of the things I worry about becuase we just got our new coop up and moved all but my mama and her brand new chick. I didn't want to move her and the baby right away but the area was to small and my girls getting restless, and i didn't want the baby to get hurt. Once I did move the mama and her chick they will remain in thier own area within the run shared by the big girls for a few days then slowly letting them out into the run to mingle with the others untill mama decides it's safe to move into the coop.

Again when ever possibly separate your hen within the common area so that they still think the hen is part of the flock, you only need to remove a green from the common area of they are sick or injured needing extra care. A small pen in a corner is usually more then enough. From broodys even a small dog crate raised 2-4 inches off the ground with 2x4s it's enough as long as you can fit a water and feeder also and let her out 1-2 times a day. Keep her in the raised pen untill she stops trying to return to and sit on nests. Basicly if with in an hour of letting het out for free time you find her sitting in the nest move her back to the pen for another day.

Is the whole flock attacking her or is it just one hen?

Are you letting the mom hatch babies if not you are gonna have to breck her from being broody.

Is your flock getting enough protein/what food do they eat?

What breeds does your flock have?

If its one hen separate that hen and in a couple days (or more depending on how high dshe is in the pecking order) put her back in and she will be at the bottom of the totem poll so she will not bother the broody.

If its the whole flock then you are going to have to reintroduce her like you would young pullets or cockrels!s.look up some threads there is a ton.
What breed? I have had that to happen mainly with old English game, but Make sure she is over the broody deal before trying to put her back with the flock. What I did was remove all the hens from this run---leaving the rooster and the x-broody hen in the main pen. Then in a couple days I would put one of the least aggressive hens back in with them----the next day I would put another back, next day another, etc. Has worked for me.

We have a jersey giant, 2 ameraucanas, 1 golden buff and the one that is being bullied is a light brahma. Thank you for your reply

Back
Top Bottom