hen broody, mixed emotions

ScoobyRoo

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 21, 2008
Land of OZ
My DD and I were hoping for a broody hen this past summer/early fall. Our little banty duck went broody last month but the duck eggs were not fertile and I didn't want a hatch anyway. I was able to break her. Now one of our hens "Snowball" (BO/LH mix) that we hatched out on the 14th of Feb. has decided to go broody. NOT now.
barnie.gif
I could not break her, didn't try hard enough. So we stuck 3 EE eggs and a brown (don't know whose it was) under her. She has not laid an egg since us putting those under her. So far she has been settin and getting up once every so often (couple of days). I figured if all 4 hatch that is better than a clutch of 12. If they don't, I wont be upset. I really don't need anymore fowls going into winter. I got enough. If this does go through, it will be a fun experience for us as we have used bators but never under a hen.

Well, you are started now, so enjoy the adventure. It does create mixed emotions though. I hope you and your daughter have a good experience with it. I haven't had a broody hatch eggs for me yet, but I have enjoyed the threads of folks that do. Good luck!

frow.gif
I know what you mean. My Loko just decided to go broody too. I tried to break her but no luck. She is such an independent one even when she was 12 days old (that when we got her and 5 others from the feed store). This is my first time, so I'm just a worried chicken-mom.

Do you have any pics? Please keep us updated.

No pics. I'm not that well with the computer. I'm lucky I can do the things I can on here.
wink.png

Why couldn't she wait till spring?!?
he.gif

DD and I just went out to candle the eggs. Out of four eggs (3 ee's) one fertile, one not and one not sure. The lone brown one was too dark to tell. We could see a fairly large air sac though. This is day 10.

*Update* Mama has been dutiful taking care of the eggs. Today one is zipped almost all the way and one started zipping. The 3rd, we are not sure yet. My DD is eggcited! This is our first broody and we hope first time Mama will know what to do because I'm not bringing them in the house.

two out and one to go. I reached in to get the egg shells and Mama rolled the lone egg under her further. Does that mean it is still good? If it didn't develop, would she have kicked it out of the nest already? Or they don't know?

DD asked if Mama was going to smother them. I said 'no'. She really is worried about those babies since it is going to be down in the upper 30's tonight. I said Mama knows what to do. (I think
hide.gif
)

Back
Top Bottom