Will allowing my broody hen to hatch out eggs discourage her from being broody in the future?

My hen finally weaned her youngsters yesterday. They were 3 months old, it was about time! Suddenly, she couldn’t stand them any more and began chasing them away, attacking them even. I opened a door into the main run and she walked thru, never looked back as I closed it behind her. In a previous year, she weaned her solo chick at 4 weeks.

I do not expect her to resume laying until spring. Her comb is still pale, days are short.

My hen finally weaned her youngsters yesterday. They were 3 months old, it was about time! Suddenly, she couldn’t stand them any more and began chasing them away, attacking them even. I opened a door into the main run and she walked thru, never looked back as I closed it behind her. In a previous year, she weaned her solo chick at 4 weeks.

I do not expect her to resume laying until spring. Her comb is still pale, days are short.
Wow! That's a long time. What a good mama! I hope mine doesn't want to go that long because she will be disappointed when they aren't there one day (they are meat chicks). Sad to say it but it is what it is.

Most of my hens only go broody once a year . . . but I've had a couple of die hards who go twice a year.
I have an English Orp that is on her 3rd brood this year, she is a total freak, but a good momma! This has been great info, just what I was looking for! She has 5 eggs under her due to hatch Wed and I have an order of chicks due to arrive Tues.

I have an English Orp that is on her 3rd brood this year, she is a total freak, but a good momma! This has been great info, just what I was looking for! She has 5 eggs under her due to hatch Wed and I have an order of chicks due to arrive Tues.
It's always great when another thread can answer your questions! Good luck with your eggs and baby chicks :)

signal-2023-11-12-08-34-57-239.jpg

Update: Ursula's babies are now 8 weeks old, and she still hasn't weaned them. She is clearly a very committed mother! She is so sweet.

I pulled two random males off the roost last night and weighed them. 5 lbs 10 oz and 5 lbs 7 oz. We are looking at processing these guys in about 2 weeks.

Any tips to encourage her to wean so she isn't heartbroken? Do you think if I go out and handfeed the Rangers some corn or worms it might help her see that they can be independent?

View attachment 3681866

Update: Ursula's babies are now 8 weeks old, and she still hasn't weaned them. She is clearly a very committed mother! She is so sweet.

I pulled two random males off the roost last night and weighed them. 5 lbs 10 oz and 5 lbs 7 oz. We are looking at processing these guys in about 2 weeks.

Any tips to encourage her to wean so she isn't heartbroken? Do you think if I go out and handfeed the Rangers some corn or worms it might help her see that they can be independent?
What a great momma! She won't be heartbroken, she may still call you them for a day or so, but will soon go back to normal chickening. I recently took my broodies 3 week old chicks from her and sold them (that's the age the buyer wanted them at) by the next day it was like nothing ever happened.

What a great momma! She won't be heartbroken, she may still call you them for a day or so, but will soon go back to normal chickening. I recently took my broodies 3 week old chicks from her and sold them (that's the age the buyer wanted them at) by the next day it was like nothing ever happened.
Phew!!! That is such a relief to know. After all, Ursula is my baby (first baby chick I ever got), and I was going to be heartbroken as well if taking her chicks was going to make her depressed.

I hope she isn't some outlier or something who never lets it go. I could almost see her doing that because she's always been a bit neurotic lol. But chickens do tend to have a short memory and just kind of live in the moment, so that's something.

Phew!!! That is such a relief to know. After all, Ursula is my baby (first baby chick I ever got), and I was going to be heartbroken as well if taking her chicks was going to make her depressed.

I hope she isn't some outlier or something who never lets it go. I could almost see her doing that because she's always been a bit neurotic lol. But chickens do tend to have a short memory and just kind of live in the moment, so that's something.
Yeah they really do live in the moment (must be nice, lol) she'll be just fine 🙂

Back
Top Bottom