Will allowing my broody hen to hatch out eggs discourage her from being broody in the future?

Pics

HenriettaPizzaNolan

Raising Layers and Meat Birds in the City
Premium Feather Member
Apr 22, 2022
Northern Ohio
No one told me how broody Australorps could be - omg!!! Mine is relentless and even with putting her in the "broody bin" and giving her daily soaks it can take over a week to break her. I love her but I'm getting so sick of doing this.

We don't have a rooster and can't because of city rules, so I haven't let her hatch out eggs yet. But if I purchased some and let her hatch them, would it keep her from becoming broody for a while? Will it satisfy her need for motherhood so she can chill out and lay eggs for once? I know it wouldn't stop the broodiness forever, but would it hold it off for a while?

it's very variable in my experience; some will settle for one brood every other year, others will go broody again within weeks of their clutch hatching.
So do you think it's worth trying? I don't really need chicks right now. I could afford to keep maybe two but I'd do it if it means she might not be a crazy broody for a few months.

Other option: I'm picking up meat chicks (rainbow rangers) from Meyer next week. Could I have her raise those? Or is there a high chance she would kill them?

Broody behaviour seems to be one of those things that you just have to try it and see with each individual; some make great mums, some don't, some settle for one brood, some don't. Some have had success putting chicks under broodies when they've been sitting for a while, but it's not something I've tried. Hopefully someone who has will chime in soon.

So do you think it's worth trying? I don't really need chicks right now. I could afford to keep maybe two but I'd do it if it means she might not be a crazy broody for a few months.

Other option: I'm picking up meat chicks (rainbow rangers) from Meyer next week. Could I have her raise those? Or is there a high chance she would kill them?
I haven't had a broody attack chicks that we tucked under her at night and we have done it 3 times. You have to be ready to get up super early the next morning to check on them and see how they are doing, and have a plan for an emergency brooder.

I think it is worth trying. Two of my girls stopped and still haven't gone back, the third was broody two weeks after she released the chicks and never stopped till winter.

You may want to move her so that no one in the flock can attack the chicks, though. I usually let her stay in the box for a day or two, then move her to an enclosure in the predator proof run at night. Once they have chicks they don't protest, from my experience.

Another thing to think about if you give her hatching eggs, what is the plan for the males. If you live in an area where they are not allowed, don't think it will be easy to find homes for them. If you're up for process ing them, great, if not, then what.
We are okay with processing chickens if we aren't able to rehome. 👍

I haven't had a broody attack chicks that we tucked under her at night and we have done it 3 times. You have to be ready to get up super early the next morning to check on them and see how they are doing, and have a plan for an emergency brooder.

I think it is worth trying. Two of my girls stopped and still haven't gone back, the third was broody two weeks after she released the chicks and never stopped till winter.

You may want to move her so that no one in the flock can attack the chicks, though. I usually let her stay in the box for a day or two, then move her to an enclosure in the predator proof run at night. Once they have chicks they don't protest, from my experience.
Thank you! Do you think it would be more worth it to do now or in the spring? Do hens go broody during the winter?

Back
Top Bottom