Broody hen (can't seem to break her out if it)

Trying this now. I have her in the wire cage with food and water. I even dipped her in cool water and put her in the cage with sun light so she can dry off. She is on my back porch where I can keep an eye on her and she is away from all other chickens.
Maybe you can feed her a little extra to help her gain some weight back? If she's down to skin and bones she could use a boost.I released my hen yesterday.

Last edited:
Trying this now. I have her in the wire cage with food and water. I even dipped her in cool water and put her in the cage with sun light so she can dry off. She is on my back porch where I can keep an eye on her and she is away from all other chickens.
Get her out of the sun. You need to lower her body temp about 5 degrees for an extended period of time. It disrupts the hormones that bring on broodiness.

I was treating my hen for bumble callouses (when she went broody) with daily foot soaks.I continued her treatment the 1st day in the cage but on the 2nd day I gave her a bath after her foot soak then released her.That broke her.

Another vote for the wire cage method. I have one set up in the basement of our house. I have broodies in it several times every summer, one after another. Glad to hear it worked for a silkie! I hear they are relentless…. IMG_2537.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom