Broody hen (can't seem to break her out if it)

GoldenBlossoms

Songster
May 30, 2022
I have a slikie hen who has gone full broody, more so then she has in the past. She just got some chicks a while back who are basically full grown now. (She didn't hatch them, I bought them for her to raise) and she proved to be a good mother. But now the chicks are older and my hen has gone full broody again.
The problem is, she is nit sitting on eggs, or anything. She is not laying any eggs and is so broody she is skin and bones.

I have tried everything I try to break her of it. Any help would be great.

Here is a list of everything I have already tried:

I threw her out of the coop and closed the door. She went broody on top of the coops roof.

I gave her a bath.

I kept her with me all day with her on a leash and harness I have for her. She went with me to the park, Dr. Appointment, beach. She has been staying inside the house at night in a playpen I have originally bought for the pet rats but the rats didn't care for it so now it's a chicken playpen lol (water and treats for her constantly cuz she needs the weight back) but

No matter what, the moment I put her outside with the other chickens (most of which she raised) she goes right back to brooding.

What else can I do?

Persistence pays off. Try a brooder breaker cage, which should be wire and off the ground so that her underparts catch a breeze. The idea is to cool her off. Leave her in for a three or so days, and let her out. If she goes back to a nest, put her back in broody jail. It's also a good idea to dip the lower portion of her body into cool water once a day. With some, it just takes a long time to break them so you just have to be patient.

I have a slikie hen who has gone full broody, more so then she has in the past. She just got some chicks a while back who are basically full grown now. (She didn't hatch them, I bought them for her to raise) and she proved to be a good mother. But now the chicks are older and my hen has gone full broody again.
The problem is, she is nit sitting on eggs, or anything. She is not laying any eggs and is so broody she is skin and bones.

I have tried everything I try to break her of it. Any help would be great.

Here is a list of everything I have already tried:

I threw her out of the coop and closed the door. She went broody on top of the coops roof.

I gave her a bath.

I kept her with me all day with her on a leash and harness I have for her. She went with me to the park, Dr. Appointment, beach. She has been staying inside the house at night in a playpen I have originally bought for the pet rats but the rats didn't care for it so now it's a chicken playpen lol (water and treats for her constantly cuz she needs the weight back) but

No matter what, the moment I put her outside with the other chickens (most of which she raised) she goes right back to brooding.

What else can I do?
Get her more babies! 😅

Persistence pays off. Try a brooder breaker cage, which should be wire and off the ground so that her underparts catch a breeze. The idea is to cool her off. Leave her in for a three or so days, and let her out. If she goes back to a nest, put her back in broody jail. It's also a good idea to dip the lower portion of her body into cool water once a day. With some, it just takes a long time to break them so you just have to be patient.
Trying this now. I have her in the wire cage with food and water. I even dipped her in cool water and put her in the cage with sun light so she can dry off. She is on my back porch where I can keep an eye on her and she is away from all other chickens.

Trying this now. I have her in the wire cage with food and water. I even dipped her in cool water and put her in the cage with sun light so she can dry off. She is on my back porch where I can keep an eye on her and she is away from all other chickens.
I'd reconsider your breaker placement. It shouldn't be in full sun (she needs shade as well) and it should be near the rest of the flock, or else you're risking needing to reintegrate her because she may be viewed as a stranger by the time you put her back.

Also 2-3 days is average, for an average broody. You may need longer, especially since you started this late instead of at onset of broodiness.

I'd reconsider your breaker placement. It shouldn't be in full sun (she needs shade as well) and it should be near the rest of the flock, or else you're risking needing to reintegrate her because she may be viewed as a stranger by the time you put her back.

Also 2-3 days is average, for an average broody. You may need longer, especially since you started this late instead of at onset of broodiness.
I did think about that. I moved her so she could be near the others and she just freaked out. Refused to eat drink anything just kept screaming. When I had her away from them she was eating and being normal. Seeing the flock she wouldn't calm down at all so after giving her a few hours with no change I put her near the back porch again away from them. And we hardly get sun here so the little time the sun was out was all the sun she got. And I'm not worried about re introducing her. Every one of my chickens have been an indoor chicken off and on, sometimes sleeping in my room with me like my broody hen is now.

This chair and blanket are specifically for my chickens when in for a night lol

Attachments

• 20230720_221121.jpg
    20230720_221121.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 11
Just wanted to give an update. The wire cage worked and my slikie is no longer broody and is with her flock having a great time. Everyone was happy to have her back.
I'm breaking a young sapphire gem after removed her off a nest last night (I found her missing during my count). She was back at it this morning so she's in a cage too.

Back
Top Bottom