Hen can’t stand

BeckB

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2021
Can anyone help? We have a hen that has not been able to stand on her own without toppling over. She tries her best but her legs seem to just straighten and stiffen, as if shes tiptoeing, and she plops over. This has been going on for a few weeks now. We took her to the vet the first week when she wouldn’t eat or drink even with help. Vet wasn't super knowledgable of chickens but she is the only one within an hour that would do poultry and would not make us wait a month. She gave her a couple shots, one an antibiotic and the other I believe vitamins. Also gave me supplements to give for a few days. I did, and now the hen will eat and drink but we have to hold her at the bowls or she cant stand to do it on her own. She has plenty of strength in her wings and tries to get away but the legs go straight involuntarily. I started giving her vitamin E and selenium 4 days ago because she does seem to have her neck crooked back, though I also pointed that out to the vet and she said its just her bone because she was malnourished. Not sure what is wrong or how to fix now. Help!!!

Your vet should join BYC and learn a few things about chickens. Maybe even Google a few things.

Oh well. Giving her vitamin E can't hurt, and it might help. Giving a high concentration vitamin B complex could also help if this is due to weak nerve connections. Grab a bottle of B-100 as it has 100mg of each important B vitamin. Give one table per day directly into the beak. (It will stain her poop yellow so don't be alarmed.)

I'm afraid, though, that this may be an avian virus such as Marek's or avian leucosis. You can't really diagnose these without a necropsy after the chicken dies. If this is what is making your hen lame, there is no treatment.

I grappled with this identical issue this past year with several young pullets. I achieved a few remissions where the patients appeared to improve, but in the end, a necropsy showed it was lymphoid leucosis. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...update-now-another-pullet-going-lame.1432738/

Your vet should join BYC and learn a few things about chickens. Maybe even Google a few things.

Oh well. Giving her vitamin E can't hurt, and it might help. Giving a high concentration vitamin B complex could also help if this is due to weak nerve connections. Grab a bottle of B-100 as it has 100mg of each important B vitamin. Give one table per day directly into the beak. (It will stain her poop yellow so don't be alarmed.)

I'm afraid, though, that this may be an avian virus such as Marek's or avian leucosis. You can't really diagnose these without a necropsy after the chicken dies. If this is what is making your hen lame, there is no treatment.

I grappled with this identical issue this past year with several young pullets. I achieved a few remissions where the patients appeared to improve, but in the end, a necropsy showed it was lymphoid leucosis. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...update-now-another-pullet-going-lame.1432738/
Oh no! Well, I hope its something curable! I will try the Vitamin B as well. Poor baby will be full of vitamins instead of feed soon! 😏 She otherwise seems healthy, and sure gives a fight when I grab her to help her eat. She calms down once she starts chowing down. Shes held on for a few weeks now so shes a fighter! Thanks for the advice! (As for the vet, I knew not to expect much when I walked out of the room to a “how to care for chickens” book on the counter.) 😑

Back
Top Bottom