Hen can barely breathe!

Mac14

Songster
7 Years
Jul 21, 2012
Northern California
My 2 1/2 year old Red Star hen seems like she can hardly breathe. She has to extend her neck and then gasps to get air, but if she doesn't extend her neck soon enough, she has a wheezing sound. She can still stand. This happened to her before, in August. On July 31, a week after a dog attack, which had basically scraped all her skin and feathers off from her back, she was recovering in our laundry room and we had a garage fire. She wasn't exposed to the smoke. I had to let her go back to the other chickens because we were having to move for a few weeks and the food and water would be in supply in the coop. But a few weeks after the fire, she was looking a lot better in her feather appearance, but she had started doing the wheezing thing. I thought we were going to have to end her misery that day, but the next day, she was completely fine, running around with the others and being fine. But now, it has come back. I don't know if something is stuck in her throat, or if she has an actual illness. Her comb is slightly on the purple side, witch I think means she's not getting enough air. It's warm today, at almost 11 o'clock, but it is not hot, yet. She doesn't have black around her face, in case anyone thinks it's dry or wet pox. I hate to see her suffer, and if we need to get out an ax, I need to know. I always put vitamins and electrolytes in the water, and so that might help with whatever. I don't know if I need to separate her, because I don't wan't to stress her out. How did it come back? Please help as soon as possible!

And to add: I don't really think I can separate her easily, we don't have the room in our house. I have a doghouse changed to a chicken coop that I might be able to put her in, but it is hard to move, and it isn't predator safe. Maybe I can put her in there for the rest of the day, and stay with her. But I don't know about night-time.

I continued to read the thread with the video, and she said something about moldy hay. I have a partial bale off straw nearby that got a little moldy on the inside mostly, but we didn't have straw the last time she was ill. We were thinking that some Grapefruit Seed Extract in the water might help, in that it fights illnesses and is more natural. Is it harmful to chickens? I want to be able to stop the wheezing by tomorrow, or else she may need to be put out of her misery.

Never mind! She is fine. I went back over to the coop and she looked as if nothing had happened. Her comb color was fine, she was standing tall, and her mouth was closed and not gasping. I went ahead and separated her to the doghouse/coop, just in case. I gave her food and a gallon of water with vitamins and electrolytes and 8 drops of GSE. I put 4 drops of GSE in the main waterier too. I am just going to watch her for a while before I put her back in. I realized that I had just given them a handful of 'scratch' and she may have gotten a lot stuck in her throat. I hope it was just the food and not a random illness that she got for an hour.

Oh great! Now it has come back! I went over and she was looking great, and pacing the fence trying to get to the other chickens. I let her in with the others, and a few minutes later, she starts wheezing again. I didn't give them any 'scratch' or anything, so now I don't think anything is stuck. I separated her again, just on the other side of the fence, and she tries to stay as close to the other chickens as possible. When she shakes her head, liquid of some sort comes flying out of her nose. It sounds like she is congested or something. What could it be that comes, goes, and comes back again within hours?

Heat stress? Especially when there is insufficient shade and or a loafing area.

I took the time to count the fans in this layer house and there are 27 of them.

These fans are needed in a commercial laying operation to keep the hens cool and laying.

Chickens don't sweat. At times however they will drink so much water to compensate for the heat that the water will literally back up and run out of their mouths.

Heat is the reason that my Grannie's chickens spent the heat of the day beneath her shotgun house. It is also why as a child that I spent many an hour on my stomach looking down at the chicken goings on through the cracks in Grannies kitchen floor. You will be surprised how much insight you can gain on chickens by looking at them from the perspective of the Deity.

Wet form of fowl pox or laryngotrachitis I believe. We had something both a few years ago when it got hot. At first I thought it was heat stroke. I had my birds necropsied and that is what they said. I think I found the info. on this site to contact the vet CAHFS (California Animal Health & Food Safety). I hope this isn't what you are dealing with. You can vaccinate for the fowl pox easily enough. I bought mine at the feed store. I've never vaccinated for the other, but I think there is one. It was heart breaking. Birds seemed fine then not then fine then passed quickly. They were 2 young Sebright males. The rest of that clutch survived.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom