Hen Cannot Walk or Stand

WendyTestaburger

Songster
Jul 7, 2021
NC
Wondering if anyone has any advice. I have a 15 month old Speckled Sussex who I found in our run yesterday unable to walk. She can sort of get around using her wings to balance her but it's obviously uncomfortable. I've had her in the garage in a dog crate since last night at about 5:30pm. It's now 1:45pm the next day and she has not pooped. I've been able to get her to sip drops of water off my finger and will eat treats and oatmeal. I got her to eat some vitamin b Complex mixed in with oatmeal about an hour ago and she was dozing off, she seems exhausted. Should I do anything else? Is there anything I can look for? I can't see any injuries, no bumblefoot that I can tell, she does grip my finger when I push on the bottom of her bad foot.

We have an an avian vet I can take her to but they aren't open until tomorrow.

Sounds like she could be eggbound. Do you have a picture of her? When's the last time she laid an egg?
I'm not sure when she last laid an egg, she is molting right now so they're super sporadic. I have 6 girls and maybe get one/two a day. Can egg bound cause difficulties walking?

Attachments

• 20221127_143632.jpg
    20221127_143632.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 7
Yes, an egg bound hen can have trouble walking if the blockage is pressing on nerve. Does her vent look normal? Gently, and I mean gently, feel her abdomen to see if it feels hard. (If she is egg bound you want to make sure you don't accidentally break the egg inside her.) Not pooping for a whole day is an emergency and can occur with egg binding. A vet is best at this point, but if you can't get her there you can try giving her a calcium supplement (tums or whatever you have on hand) and a warm bath (with epsom salt if you have it). You can check for egg binding by inserting a gloved and lubricated finger into her vent to (gently!!!) feel for an egg and help lubricate the passage.

Yes, an egg bound hen can have trouble walking if the blockage is pressing on nerve. Does her vent look normal? Gently, and I mean gently, feel her abdomen to see if it feels hard. (If she is egg bound you want to make sure you don't accidentally break the egg inside her.) Not pooping for a whole day is an emergency and can occur with egg binding. A vet is best at this point, but if you can't get her there you can try giving her a calcium supplement (tums or whatever you have on hand) and a warm bath (with epsom salt if you have it). You can check for egg binding by inserting a gloved and lubricated finger into her vent to (gently!!!) feel for an egg and help lubricate the passage.
Ok I'll do all this right now and report back

Sorry my other comments I forgot to hit reply. Do you know how much tums I can give her and how?

Back
Top Bottom