hen can't walk

Good news, my hen is getting better and better every day! She looks as if she will be back to her normal self in the next couple of weeks.
ya.gif

I had a silkie with the same problem. I didn't really know what was wrong with her so I gave her vitamin B because I thought that was the most likely cause of her symptoms and I refused to believe it was Mareks because I didn't want her to die and she didn't seem paralyzed. One day I noticed she couldn't see her favorite treat out one eye, the same side as her weaker leg. But she kept improving on vitamins and she was almost able to stand. One morning I found her gasping for air and her tongue seemed paralyzed. She died that night. It was most likely Mareks. You might want to consider it. Test her eyes, by showing the hen her favorite treat on one side then the other. Does she have a weaker leg? In my experience, don't celebrate too soon. But I've given others the same advice and I've been wrong so take my advice with a grain of salt. Don't be discouraged. Hope she recovers fully (which she probably will)!

I had a silkie with the same problem. I didn't really know what was wrong with her so I gave her vitamin B because I thought that was the most likely cause of her symptoms and I refused to believe it was Mareks because I didn't want her to die and she didn't seem paralyzed. One day I noticed she couldn't see her favorite treat out one eye, the same side as her weaker leg. But she kept improving on vitamins and she was almost able to stand. One morning I found her gasping for air and her tongue seemed paralyzed. She died that night. It was most likely Mareks. You might want to consider it. Test her eyes, by showing the hen her favorite treat on one side then the other. Does she have a weaker leg? In my experience, don't celebrate too soon. But I've given others the same advice and I've been wrong so take my advice with a grain of salt. Don't be discouraged. Hope she recovers fully (which she probably will)!

I have a young hen with similar problems. She is not old enough to lay yet. In August I found her laying on her side. One of her legs was broken. I put a cast on it, and gave her antibiotics. In 6 weeks I took the cast off and she seemed fine for a couple of weeks then started losing coerdination in her legs. She stands up to fast and tips herself over. She lost weight because of it, and I now have made her a stand to keep her upright and she is eating good again. Getting her strength back. I just have no idea why this is happening! Any thoughts would be very appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom