Hen caught by dog...back defeathered

I've used Chlorhexedine in the past with good results for wounds like this. You can buy it as a spray. Spray the area well and don't attempt to wipe any excess off.
There is also an ointment called triple anti biotic ointment I believe you can buy in the USA. Apply some of this after the Chlorhexedine spray.
The ideal painkiller would be Metacam. I don't know if you need a prescription for this in the USA.
If you can't get Metacam then half a junior asprin can be given twice a day for three days.
Shock and stress need to be addressed and the wound needs to be kept clean.
I would clean the wound daily with warm water and reapply the antibiotic ointment after each cleaning.
If you can, then a poultry vitamin supplement may be a good idea. Give it with water to help keep the hen hydrated.
You may need to keep her seperated from the group especially if you have a rooster while her back heals over.
Wounds like this tend to terrible but as long as she didn't receive any internal injuries she should recover well.
Thank you SO much for the generous reply. It is very appreciated!

Maybe you can extend the fence with pvc pipe and attach netting to it? That would prevent anymore of your chickens from flying over there in the future.Chickens can fly good when they want to escape! Best wishes on her a speedy recovery!
Yes that's been our plan for the next project. Unfortunately, our furnace died, so finances for the fencing got delayed a few months.

Yes that's been our plan for the next project. Unfortunately, our furnace died, so finances for the fencing got delayed a few months.
I'm sorry you're going through that. Our duct work was already bad (we have an old house) When a transformer next door malfunctioned it caused a couple of our appliances to burn up. Our furnace caught on fire too . We're hooking up to natural gas and buying a couple heaters next fall. We're using electric space heaters at the moment.

I'm sorry you're going through that. Our duct work was already bad (we have an old house) When a transformer next door malfunctioned it caused a couple of our appliances to burn up. Our furnace caught on fire too . We're hooking up to natural gas and buying a couple heaters next fall. We're using electric space heaters at the moment.
Oh, man, that's awful! For us, it was our outdoor wood burning furnace that heats our house via hot water pipes that kicked the bucket. It was about 30 years old and the floor of the burn box got a hole and water was pouring into the burn box. Can't exactly have a fire where there's water. We have electric heat, but it's so much more expensive than the wood burning furnace. The replacement is arriving in a week, but it sure ate into an already stretched budget.
*sigh* :barnie

Oh, man, that's awful! For us, it was our outdoor wood burning furnace that heats our house via hot water pipes that kicked the bucket. It was about 30 years old and the floor of the burn box got a hole and water was pouring into the burn box. Can't exactly have a fire where there's water. We have electric heat, but it's so much more expensive than the wood burning furnace. The replacement is arriving in a week, but it sure ate into an already stretched budget.
*sigh* :barnie
I took a 55 gallon steel barrel, 50 foot of stove pipe and a hundred old red clay bricks and made a rocket stove mass heater in 2011 .I put it in the living room of an old mobile home I was living in at the time. The burn chamber had be reloaded every 15-20 minutes .If you kept reloading the burn chamber as fast as it burned it would get extremely hot .I imagine that stove would have been great in Canada but I lived in NC at the time.LOL I had to open the doors to cool the house off and only used it one winter. It might have been great if you was home all day and had nothing better to do but reload the fire .Lol

We had a hen with a similar injury plus a deep wound. We made sterile saline solution and put it in a spray bottle, cleaned the wound twice daily by spraying it thoroughly so no scrubbing. Dabbed the neosporin on, then sprayed with Veterycin gel spray to seal the wound and keep it moist. She was all well in less than 3 weeks. That flap of skin should dry up and fall off. Maybe can be cut off at some point? Not sure. Let's ask @Eggcessive, @azygous, @Wyorp Rock, they are the best at this kind of stuff. Good luck with your little girl, and yes, clipping one wing will help keep her home!

I agree with spraying chlorhexidene, Veterycin hydrogel, or saline, and applying the plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. The skin flap may or may not adhere, but worth a try. Amoxicillin (Aquamox available online) can be obtained without a prescription, and given 125-250 mg twice a day.

When I had trouble with young grown pullets jumping over my 4 foot chainlink fence into the yard with my dog, I tried clipping one wing. It did not help. They still jumped up onto the fence rail and then jumped over. The best thing that worked was to get electric fence netting 42 inches high. It was not electrified, but the chickens cannot jump up on it, so don’t fly over. It also comes in 48 inch, but the 42 worked for mine. You can also electrify it for predators. Here is the one we use:
https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/...plus-12-42-3-kits-electric-netting?cat_id=190

Back
Top Bottom