Hen Completely Disappeared!

Darn it, i sure hoped she was hiding out somewhere.
And it's ok to be emotional over "just a chicken!" :hugs

I let a group out the other day, swore i had 14 in that pen. Only 13 at lockup time, but I'm not even really sure one is missing, or if i miscounted. I can't figure out which one could be missing! i had several growing juvies in there, and I've sold some from that pen, so I'm confused! Lol But I've still been looking for evidence either way. I was out there with them, so i really don't think one got lost. I'll never be sure. Duh me.

I'm so sorry.
This recently happened to me...I have a fenced yard and two RIRs. One just disappeared. Gone. No sign of anything bad...and I've had several hens taken. It's VERY clear when they are. Feathers are everywhere and the others are clearly upset.

This time, my remaining elder hen, Pebbles, was standing on the wheelbarrow, looking over the fence...which told me that my youngest probably flew over. She always could fly. I left the gate open for 3 nights, searched everywhere...nothing. Holly never came back. It was the strangest thing. She literally just disappeared into thin air.

They're never "just a chicken". It leaves a gap in your heart...and when you don't know what happened, there's always that question.

You have my deepest empathy.

I'm so sorry.
This recently happened to me...I have a fenced yard and two RIRs. One just disappeared. Gone. No sign of anything bad...and I've had several hens taken. It's VERY clear when they are. Feathers are everywhere and the others are clearly upset.

This time, my remaining elder hen, Pebbles, was standing on the wheelbarrow, looking over the fence...which told me that my youngest probably flew over. She always could fly. I left the gate open for 3 nights, searched everywhere...nothing. Holly never came back. It was the strangest thing. She literally just disappeared into thin air.

They're never "just a chicken". It leaves a gap in your heart...and when you don't know what happened, there's always that question.

You have my deepest empathy.

I realize this is an older thread. Recently I had 10 female and one male White Leghorns go missing. Something went through the top of a gate that had both welded wire and chicken wire. I flew my drone looking for evidence but didn't find anything. I was looking for bodies and feathers. I have been seeing a coyote on my cameras so it's the chief suspect. I wish I would have taken a picture of the opening in the top of the gate but already repaired it and added more welded wire to the gates that only have chicken wire on them. I have still been seeing a coyote on the cameras. I also have electric wires around my coops and pens. No further attempts yet.

Back
Top Bottom