Hen crowing like a rooster

Sjisty

Scribe of Brahmalot
12 Years
May 18, 2009
Brooksville
This is Oreo, a Light Brahma. She is about 9 years old and is one of our oldest hens. In the last couple of weeks she has decided she would rather be a "he" --

0.jpg

I've heard the older a hen gets the more likely she is to have ovarian issues....she proves that nicely. She's is wonderful condition for such a mature hen!

I've heard the older a hen gets the more likely she is to have ovarian issues....she proves that nicely. She's is wonderful condition for such a mature hen!

Thanks, she does look pretty good. She will probably be going to the "retirement home" soon. There are two other older girls there. We figure they deserve to not be "bothered" by the boys anymore, so we have a separate pen and run for the oldsters, Frack and Bertha, who are 8 and 10 years old, respectively. Interestingly, Bertha's sister, Blackie, who is also 10, is still laying two or so eggs a week! Call me a wimp, but we don't eat our girls - they've earned their retirement!

I agree with @Donrae. From what I've read, this is a hormonal issue, probably due to declined ovarian function in her old age.

I applaud you on the fantastic condition of your hens though, and also the considerate way in which they are housed in their later years. You sound a bit like me, actually - the old, the sick and the lame all have a safe home here too!
big_smile.png

My very best wishes to you and your flock.

- Krista

Chapeau! She looks fantastic and what a wonderful idea to build a retirement home for your older hens.
Our lokal hen rescue sometimes finds fake roosters among the hens from factory farms and learned that this hens have damaged ovaries and thuse evolve into roosters. So if her hormon production has droped due to her old age, she may not turn into a rooster but feel some of the effects ... kind of menopause symptome.

I have four hens in total and no rosters. My black orpington ( i believe she is the head of the flock) is about 1.5 years old, she hasn't been laying for approx 3 month. One day i saw her mounting another araucana hen( like doing the real thing), i was shocked. My husband told me he has seen her doing that once in the past as well. Every now and then she will make this :corwing" sound in the early morning, and i will get up "beat" her and give them some feed to quiet them down. I really dont know what to do, we not allowed to have rosters in where i live. I am thinking maybe i should sell that araucana hen? Perhaps my black orpington will forget?

Back
Top Bottom