Hen crowing like a rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sjisty, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    This is Oreo, a Light Brahma. She is about 9 years old and is one of our oldest hens. In the last couple of weeks she has decided she would rather be a "he" --

[​IMG]

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hens will sometimes step into the Rooster roll if there is no rooster to take it.

3. Sjisty

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    There are three roosters. She is getting pretty old and hasn't laid in about a year.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've heard the older a hen gets the more likely she is to have ovarian issues....she proves that nicely. She's is wonderful condition for such a mature hen!

5. Sjisty

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Thanks, she does look pretty good. She will probably be going to the "retirement home" soon. There are two other older girls there. We figure they deserve to not be "bothered" by the boys anymore, so we have a separate pen and run for the oldsters, Frack and Bertha, who are 8 and 10 years old, respectively. Interestingly, Bertha's sister, Blackie, who is also 10, is still laying two or so eggs a week! Call me a wimp, but we don't eat our girls - they've earned their retirement!

6. daniellecm

daniellecm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2013
    Wow 8 to 10 years! They must be well cared for happy girls! Nice to see

7. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I agree with @Donrae. From what I've read, this is a hormonal issue, probably due to declined ovarian function in her old age.

I applaud you on the fantastic condition of your hens though, and also the considerate way in which they are housed in their later years. You sound a bit like me, actually - the old, the sick and the lame all have a safe home here too! [​IMG]

My very best wishes to you and your flock.

- Krista

8. Bine

Bine Chillin' With My Peeps

Chapeau! She looks fantastic and what a wonderful idea to build a retirement home for your older hens.
    Our lokal hen rescue sometimes finds fake roosters among the hens from factory farms and learned that this hens have damaged ovaries and thuse evolve into roosters. So if her hormon production has droped due to her old age, she may not turn into a rooster but feel some of the effects ... kind of menopause symptome.

9. Imelda P

Imelda P New Egg

Mar 8, 2015
    Co Down Northern Ireland
    It's wonderful to see such well cared for girls! Our girls are 6 years old and I really hope they are still going strong at 9 years too!

10. dollychickens

dollychickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2014
    I have four hens in total and no rosters. My black orpington ( i believe she is the head of the flock) is about 1.5 years old, she hasn't been laying for approx 3 month. One day i saw her mounting another araucana hen( like doing the real thing), i was shocked. My husband told me he has seen her doing that once in the past as well. Every now and then she will make this :corwing" sound in the early morning, and i will get up "beat" her and give them some feed to quiet them down. I really dont know what to do, we not allowed to have rosters in where i live. I am thinking maybe i should sell that araucana hen? Perhaps my black orpington will forget?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by