Hen crowing?

So I'm trying to read up on all of the polish and crowing and either hen or roosters. I have read that white Crest black polish birds whether hen or rooster will most likely have prominent wattles and seen pictures of laying hens with these type of wattles. So now those are kind of off my radar for hen/rooster determination. But.. these are my first chickens and still learning. I have read a lot about the tail and saddle feathers so thought I would also post some side views. I realize the frizzle is going to very difficult to determine just yet. Thank you everyone for your input šŸ˜

Last edited:
20200712_122729.jpg
20200712_122713.jpg
20200712_122653.jpg
20200712_122635.jpg
20200712_122619.jpg

I would say cockerel for sure, but Polish confuses me. I'm still pretty sure it's a cockerel.

Even if there were no cockerels, if it was a crow, I would be thinking cockerel.
It's very rare for hens to crow, and it usually seems to be at an older age than this, once the pecking order is properly established.
And with the red wattles.....
My OEGB started crowing after she was done raising her chicks for about three weeks and a cockerel started making advances towards her. She did not like it and started to fight him and all of the sudden she crowed. It was hilarious. She kept crowing for a week or so but she started laying eggs a couple of days ago and I hadnā€™t hear her crow anymore.

Not sure if this would make any difference but we have 16 week silkies. Still. Ot sure if they are hen or roo either but my polish are almost as big as the silkies and the silkies are twice their age.

Back
Top Bottom