Hen dead after cured of sour crop

Rubyred5

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 18, 2014
My Ameracauna hen Cinnabon had runny poop, so I brought her inside. I read all posts on possibilities (she had almost all symptoms of vent gleet) and began treatments for that. She only wanted mealworms, could not get her to eat anything else. 3 days later she stopped eating or drinking. I began force feeding powdered layena, electrolytes, yogurt/applesauce/boiled egg yolk. The smell clued me in that it was sour crop. Continued force feeding, had a few firm stools, began feeding 1/3 yeast infection suppository in early morning and afternoon till gone. Stools returned watery. Had heater on her for warmth. As her strength returned, I put her in yard with others during warm part of day and returned her inside at night, for several days. Then let her spend night in coop (always with a hen on each side for warmth). Weight dropped to 2# 11 oz., fed her 60 ml. for next several days. Every couple/3 days I would bring her in, weigh her, force feed her (crop was never full), water and Layena and return her to coop as long as it was 40 degrees or above. Finally saw her peck more than just couple times at feed, but still would ravenously go after the mealworms only. Began ACV water for all birds 4 days ago. Brought her in last night when I saw that she was wet, (rained earlier), she had some mealies earlier in day, so could barely feel anything in crop. Blowed her dry, gave her moistened pellets, but no go. Added mealworms to it and she went crazy for the worms as usual, but careful so as to only get worms. So, slowly force fed another 55ml of Layena and water, and massaged crop, weighed 3# 1.6 oz. after feeding. She acted like she couldn't keep her eyes open at end of feeding, (had done this before with no problem). Returned her to coop (41 degrees last night). She seemed to be improving, then found her this morning. Not able to do necropsy, so left wondering why did I lose her? Any suggestions from more experienced chicken owners? Was she too weak to be returned to coop yet? Maybe I rushed her recovery? Hate the not knowing...

Safeguard should be at your feed store, in the goat medications section. If you have to get wormer off line, I would suggest getting Valbazen.

Wazine only kills roundworms. Safeguard kills most worms, but must be dosed 3-5 days in a row for some worms. Valbazen kills all types of chicken worms in one dose. But, is still very safe to use.

Which ever wormer you chose to use, you can rest assured that not worming them is a lot more dangerous than any wormer would be.

Good luck

I know you miss your girl. I feel your loss. Just get yourself together and accept it. . As long as your other chicks are well, then it is good. WISHING YOU THE BEST
sad.png

Thanks for the link! I tried to post to it earlier, but I'm still not too good at navigating around yet. But I managed this time : )

Your hen may have been fed too much, it may have gone down the wrong way, etc. The very act of force feeding is very stressful to the bird. I'm sorry you lost her. She may have had other things besides crop issues.

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined.

I'm sorry to hear about your hen! She may have had some internal problem. I hope the Emergencies people can help you out!

Back
Top Bottom