Hen dead after cured of sour crop

For maintenance they were all wormed and treated for coccidiosis when I first noticed her runny stools. Then I isolated her and began her individual treatment in house (2.5 weeks). All other hens have full crops at night and empty in morning (nice piles of poo on coop floor) but not for her for quite awhile. Another healthy Ameracauna weighed 3# 11.0 oz., so I didn't think she was deathly underweight.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to our flock! We're glad to have you here!
welcome-byc.gif

I feel your loss. I had a rooster die of old age and I felt like it was all my fault.
hugs.gif

I wormed them with Wazine in their water, have not been able to find Safeguard

Last edited:
Safeguard should be at your feed store, in the goat medications section. If you have to get wormer off line, I would suggest getting Valbazen.

Wazine only kills roundworms. Safeguard kills most worms, but must be dosed 3-5 days in a row for some worms. Valbazen kills all types of chicken worms in one dose. But, is still very safe to use.

Which ever wormer you chose to use, you can rest assured that not worming them is a lot more dangerous than any wormer would be.

Good luck

Thanks for the info. Valbazen sounds like the right one to use. I did read about killing too many worms at once and it creating a blockage...that's not a problem with Valbazen? Also, I see the poop everyday and have only seen normal round poop with white on top except for recently with my sick hen (clear water with bits of green) and then some black tar poop showed up after she rejoined them (that could have been from some oil I mixed with her layer feed while force feeding with syringe?). But, I have never seen any worms, so wouldn't expect any could have enough to create a blockage anyway... I am creating a symptoms and treatment file on my chickens~hard to keep all this info straight! BackYard Chickens is a tremendous help, thank you. My other 5 are running around happy as can be, which makes me feel better
1f600.png
. Just trying to stay ahead in the game. Don't want to lose another!

Back
Top Bottom