Hen died , worried about the other two

kmisscluck

Chirping
Sep 20, 2016
Broomfield, CO
I posted about two months ago about my hen having crusty eyes. She never Coughed or got swelling and it responded well to cleaning with vetricyn pink eye spray, teramycin eye ointment and I have her doxycycline daily for two weeks. All drainage went away and my other two never looked sick. One is laying and the other two never started . The leghorn is laying but EE and
Orpington never started. I noticed the EE did look like she may not be gaining
Weight but she had been active and looked
Fine even this morning. I went out To put them in coop tonight and she was dead.
The other two have a small
Amount of poop
On butts the last few weeks but I think it is bc it is cold and it freezes. They have well ventilated large coop and ten foot run and I give
Them probiotics and apple cider vinegar in water . Layered egg starter feed, oyster shell, kelp, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds for scratch. Any ideas ? Is this mycoplasma or coryza . I wondered about flu bc so fast . I checked for
Mites and no signs . They have DE in their dust bath .

Just found out from local group that this same thing has happened to several of us who bought our birds from a local feed store . One lady has lost all her birds . Her vet said it could be Mareks? Does this sound right

Would you be intetested in sending her body in for necropsy? If she was dropping weight, I think it could have been any of a number of different things in her weakened state. I am sorry not to be of more help and hope you get some answers.

The body is frozen bc she died in run outside. Someone on local thread said they can’t do if body frozen- is that true? Dont want to thaw her out in fridge and upset children if they can’t do it.

Back
Top Bottom