Hen eating eggs

porchdawg71

Hatching
Sep 27, 2021
I have a 5 month old hen that is eating her eggs. The entire egg, inside and the shell, but she doesn't bother the other hens eggs. I've researched causes for this but nothing seems to apply. They get fresh water twice a day and it is always full. They never run out of food. They are feed a quality layer feed that should be giving required protein and calcium. They have a side dish of oyster shells that I keep filled. There are only 3 hens in a 4x4 coop with a 4x20 run, so overcrowding shouldn't be the issue. There are also 3 nesting boxes for the 3 hens. Although she doesn't lay in the nesting boxes. She lays on the coop floor. I almost suspect she is laying while on the roost as she doesn't scratch out a nest. And to complicate it more, when she started laying, she was laying soft shelled eggs. No shell just the membrane. How do I get her to stop eating her eggs?

Is the floor covered in soft bedding? Sometimes if the egg cracks and the hen inspects it, she will eat it. Other times it can sadly be a bad habit. I would put some fake eggs in the areas you find her eggs. Hopefully she tries pecking at those and realize they won’t break.

Is the floor covered in soft bedding? Sometimes if the egg cracks and the hen inspects it, she will eat it. Other times it can sadly be a bad habit. I would put some fake eggs in the areas you find her eggs. Hopefully she tries pecking at those and realize they won’t break.
The floor is covered with wood flakes. It's fairly soft and about 3 to 4 inches deep. I have had a couple of fake eggs in the coop for about a week now, but it doesn't appear to be having an effect on her.

I don't know if it will work but I read on a website to blow out one of her eggs, put mustard inside and put it back where she lays. Once she gets a taste of the mustard she won't want to peck/eat the egg and others. Have no clue if it'll work but it's worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom